[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4601: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3764)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4603: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3764)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4604: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3764)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4605: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3764)
1911Pro.com • View topic - Question on Ruger MK2 Barrel

1911Pro.com

The 1911 Forum For Professional & DIY Gunsmithing
It is currently Wed Dec 12, 2018 3:35 am

Board index » Other Firearms & Information » Other Pistols

Post Posted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 8:47 pm 
Hi all. I have a few Ruger Mk2 bull barrels to flatten the sides of the barrels on. The factory offers some models with this and it looks like a simple job on the mill but the problem is finding something or some point to use to make sure the flats are true with the pistol. It seems that ever cut or flat spot on the upper is different, the sight cuts aren't true with the small flat on the bottom of the receiver, nothing is square.

Anyway I thought I'd ask if anyway had done these before and how they fixtured them up, what you indicated off of to set it up before cutting. I'd like to build a fixture and be confident they all come out correct but I'm almost at the point of eyeballing.

Post Posted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 11:58 pm 
Are the sight cuts/sights oriented correctly with the receiver installed on the grip frame? If so, I would use that as a reference. From looking at the four I own, the bottom cut looks to be focused on more on clearance to allow the lower parts to correctly interface with the upper. The cuts are too rough for any precise reference.

Post Posted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 12:44 am 
Thanks for the answer, the sight cuts are pretty irregular, some look like they were done on a scraper with a dull tool. Plus they are not very wide to get a good reading.

I've got lots of time to figure this out, it's for a very good friend to give to his Grandkids and I'm probably being too anal about it. Every MK2 I pick up I look at the sights and some are perfect some are off one way or another. I got the idea to check the cut in the rear of the receiver for the bolt ears, it's just a clearance cut but maybe they cut them fairly consistent.

Post Posted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 11:19 pm 

Post Posted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 11:24 pm 
Thanks Jerry.

Post Posted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 1:25 am 

Post Posted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 6:57 am 
While you are doing things to fix up the "new" gun, you might want to consider one of my pet peeves: the mag release. I found the dinky mag release on my MK II to be a major pain in the a$$. I finally settled on a big paddle release, I forget whose, that I modified by rounding the sharp corners. Now I have a pretty reasonable release, even though I still prefer the Browning style release of the MK IIIs.

Profile YIM  

Post Posted: Sat Mar 12, 2016 8:31 pm 
Im helping a friend sell his Ruger Mark 1 with 6 and 7/8 inch barrel. It is in new looking condition except at the grip at the bottom of the takedown lever there is damage to the blueing about 1/32 wide by 1/4 inch long, like someone tried to force the takedown lever back into the grip. One magazine. Black eagle grip with feathers on the neck. 70,000-71,000 sn range.
What is the going rate for a pistol like this? Any ideas what year it is from? Best I can tell it is 1950s.

Thanks and happy holidays

Profile WWW ICQ YIM  

Post Posted: Sun Mar 13, 2016 4:36 am 
Gunbroker is a good reference - http://www.gunbroker.com/Semi-Auto-Pist ... ger+Mark+1

Jump to: