1911Pro.com

The 1911 Forum For Professional & DIY Gunsmithing
It is currently Thu Feb 22, 2018 1:33 pm

Board index » 1911s » General 1911 Topics

Post Posted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 1:18 am 
I've looked at the rear sight position of the stubby ones and wondered why so far ahead, then the cut out behind.

The possible reason that comes to my mind is a shooter could hook the sight on the edge of something and operate the slide with more control then if the sight was in it's normal position.
The sloping cut would make the sight easier to acquire?

Anyone know the thought behind it for sure?

Post Posted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 2:51 am 
My understanding was that it could be carried in condition 2 and thumb cocked easier as its shortness made it a self defense carry piece. De-cocking as well.

"A spurred hammer is used, and the spur is higher on the hammer body than is traditional. The reason for the slope and the raised hammer spur is to make thumb-cocking easier when carrying the gun with loaded chamber and hammer lowered. This works as intended and is as easy, if not more so, than doing this action with a full-size original design. This also makes lowering the hammer easier as well.

Of course, carrying a 1911 with the chamber loaded, hammer down has not been en vogue for quite some time and is even, mistakenly, thought to be unsafe."

Read more: http://www.handgunsmag.com/reviews/feat ... z425HBAADo

Mine is a Seattle model I ran across when first getting interested in shooting.

Cut down some full size grips, and added a magwell just for fun.

ImageImage

LOG

Post Posted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 3:17 am 
I changed the recoil spring system to the flat wire spring and 1/4" guide rod. Made the barrel support plug from a full size closed end. Re-shaped the front, cut to the correct length and weld the ring on.

ImageImage

LOG

Post Posted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 12:22 am 
As usual a perfect job.
Very nice.

Post Posted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 2:47 pm 
Where do the flat springs come from? I have 2 Detonics and that looks like a pretty cool mod. thanks

Post Posted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 2:00 am 
The flat wire springs are currently made by ISMI to the best I can tell. Several 1911 suppliers are now marketing them with the 1/4" guide rod which is needed for them. ISMI doesn't specify them for the 1911, but for Glock. And I believe all flat wire springs being sold for the 1911 are Glock springs as they have the smaller rod. The Flat wire spring works great in the short guns as they can be cut, so as much spring as possible can be used. The rub to me comes for the 5" GM, none of the flat wire springs being marketed for them take advantage of the full recoil space as they are actually Glock length. Kind of funny to watch it develop.

LOG

Post Posted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 2:49 pm 
thanks much I hit ISMI on a search also Wilson's
I'll order some ISMI's up as the short gun seems to be the perfect candidate for them.
BTW nice Mark?

Post Posted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 3:15 pm 
Yeah I'd like to have a flat spring in the recoil & mainspring of my Officers ACP/Compact 3 1/2"er + a flat bottom firing pin stop..

Jump to: