[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4601: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3764)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4603: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3764)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4604: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3764)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4605: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3764)
1911Pro.com • View topic - Frame Ramp Angle

1911Pro.com

The 1911 Forum For Professional & DIY Gunsmithing
It is currently Thu Jul 19, 2018 3:05 am

Board index » 1911s » Tutorials, "How To's" and FAQ's

Post Posted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:27 pm 
There are a number of ways to check this, so am showing a in general way with simple measuring tools.

First I set a rule on a protractor and secure at 31.5 degrees, the rule can't go very deep into the mag well. By setting at the desired angle I can see if it is 31.5º, more or less, or correct.
IMG_0673.JPG

Then by placing two parallels on the deck you can balance the bottom of the protractor so it is parallel to it, and align the rule in the center of the ramp.

IMG_0674.JPG
Then you can get a good look at the rule and how it lines up. Another thing is the depth, you can arrange the rule so it is at say .400" and see that also. I didn't in the pic. The frame ramp on my blue guns are blued as I have re-blued them along the way, and like the polished blue ramp and leave it, why not? :)

IMG_0676.JPG

LOG

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Post Posted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 7:22 pm 
Thanks Log....I was wondering how I was going to check the ramp on my Foster....sometimes the simplest solutions are the most easily overlooked :mrgreen:

Post Posted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 2:59 am 
i've read that the ramp angle between the .45ACP frames is different than the angle for a frame being used for a 9mm build.
What are the difference's and what issue's might one encounter building a 9mm on a .45ACP frame?

Post Posted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 4:04 am 
NVM...found the answer i was looking for.

Post Posted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 2:34 am 

Post Posted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 7:06 pm 
I'll have to look it up again, but from memory, the 9mm uses a steeper angle. IIRC, it's something like 20 degrees as opposed to the 31.5 degrees for the .45acp.

Post Posted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 8:03 pm 
Mr. Hoag told me it's doable, but by the time you get done, you 'bout might as well buy a 9mm.

Post Posted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 4:36 pm 
I have got to get myself a set of those clamps...

Post Posted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 10:13 pm 
DK,

If you find a source, please share. Spring clip office binders won't cut it, paper clips aren't stout enough, and C clamps too awkward.

If those clamps are in the MSC Cataloge, I haven't found them. MSC offers LOTS of stuff.

salty

Post Posted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 10:25 pm 
The feedramp on a .45 is too far forward if in spec.
Traditionally, I found the older Colts to be the same for 9mm/.38 Super/.40/10mm. That seems to have changed recently. I have not seen enough new ones to be sure.

As for the angle, The only prints I have ever seen or heard of call out 31.5. Thats in .45. I have never seen or heard of any factory prints other than fullsize .45.

My personal preference is 31.5 for all calibers, with the length from the slide stop pin center to the feedramp being the only variable thats caliber specific.

CW

Jump to: