1911Pro.com

The 1911 Forum For Professional & DIY Gunsmithing
It is currently Sat Jan 20, 2018 9:39 pm

Board index » Other Firearms & Information » Maintenance, Cleaning & Lubrication

Post Posted: Tue May 24, 2011 3:09 pm 
I have a 1999 era Kimber Custom Target that I am going to replace the springs.

The question comes from shooting a 22 conversion kit on it. This is the Kimber kit and runs good with ammo a little on the hotter side. I was wondering if I replace the mainspring with a lighter weight version if that would help with shooting standard velocity ammo, and should I put a little more weight in the recoil spring on the 45 upper when to offset the lighter mainspring?

Post Posted: Fri May 27, 2011 3:23 am 
Changing the mainspring will only have a small affect on the ability to shoot standard velocity 22 with your conversion. It will help with cheaper high velocity ammo. The weight of the slide and recoil spring dictate the need for high velocity ammo in the conversion. I shoot mine with "regular" high velocity 22 rather than the mini mags or hyper velocity stuff. The cheap Blazer 22 cycles the conversion just fine on my alloy framed Pro CDP.

Too light of a mainspring will cause light strikes with the conversion. Mine works with a 20 lb mainspring. I use a 16# recoil spring for 45 in the gun but I don't normally shoot factory full powered ammo.

Jump to: