[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4601: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3764)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4603: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3764)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4604: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3764)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4605: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3764)
1911Pro.com • View topic - Plunger tube hole countersink tool...

1911Pro.com

The 1911 Forum For Professional & DIY Gunsmithing
It is currently Sat Sep 22, 2018 11:33 pm

Board index » 1911s » 1911 Gunsmithing and Refinishing

Post Posted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 8:15 pm 
While poking around McMaster Carr today I found a possible solution to the plunger tube frame hole chamfer issue. There is a "tight Spot reverse countersink" available. It uses a 3/32" diameter shank 6" long part #3309A31 and a countersink that is installed after the shank is inserted, part #3309A41. Chuck it in a drill and chamfer away.

Shank page: https://www.mcmaster.com/#3309a31/=18ap7pq

Countersink page: https://www.mcmaster.com/#3309a41/=18ap7ft

The blueprint spec for the holes is .0988"
3/32" = .09375"

for about $35.00 or so Bobs your uncle...
I think it'll work.
Joe

Post Posted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 10:00 pm 
Looks great! I will be trying one soon. I also enjoy browsing through msc and McMaster. Especially when I was into Schuetzen rifles.

Post Posted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 4:20 am 
Many years ago Brownell's offered a reverse countersink for just that purpose from a smith named Colabaugh. The shank was much shorter than the one you list, but it was a one piece unit. Sort of a super-mini dovetail cutter. I bought a few of them and they worked well. They were fragile and required gentle handling to prevent breakage. Not surprising as they are tiny. A google search reveals this -
Craig Colabaugh
140 Gumm St Suite 101
Stroudsburg, PA 18360
(570) 992-4499

Post Posted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 2:42 pm 
I purchased Craig's countersink tool a few years ago... two if them to be exact. It works great but you do have to be careful not to break it. Just trust me on this.... LOL

Post Posted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 3:26 pm 
BBBBill, I had heard about that tool and it's fragility. Noga makes a blind hole chamfer but the shank and bit won't fit through the plunger tube hole.
If Nogas tool was thin enough it would be the sauce. This setup from McMaster looks bulletproof. The length of the bit may be the only issue inside the frame. Mods to fit the application may be required.
Joe

Post Posted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 8:21 pm 

Post Posted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 10:52 pm 
:D
Same choice I made Bill. And McMaster delivers quick too!
I was concerned about the head thickness over the width of the magwell but rechecked a print blowup and the magwell is about .040" over the tool. If the shank that protrudes past the cutter is a little too long, grinder to the rescue. Could also regrind the cutter to shorten the working height. Gonna make this work!
Joe

Post Posted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 11:56 am 
Chamfer tool arrived and as mentioned on 1911forum the diameter will have to be reduced to fit he rear plunger tube hole. Also will have to shorten the shank some but it should still work.
Joe

Post Posted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 10:56 am 
Shortened the shank .030" and the bit about .010". Turned the diameter to close to .250" and ther is more diameter to lose if necessary. It fits!
Joe

Post Posted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 5:46 pm 
I use the Lasco B4 Diamond Burr (3.1mm diameter) with 3/32" shank.

I trim the shank so that it can be inserted into the frame, hook it up to Foredom and run low speed to chamfer the inside.

Jump to: