[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4601: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3764)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4603: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3764)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4604: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3764)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4605: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3764)
1911Pro.com • View topic - Slide lightening

1911Pro.com

The 1911 Forum For Professional & DIY Gunsmithing
It is currently Sat Jun 23, 2018 7:02 am

Board index » 1911s » 1911 Gunsmithing and Refinishing

Post Posted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 1:29 pm 
I have been very busy and making considerations in life. A very prolific 'smith gave me plentiful amounts in advice from his years experience.. including a specific textbook of information. This now out of print text is a grimorium.. a compendeum of knowledge.

So, i have been reading this 700page novel..

I see a ton of photographs of older competition pistols which have been hogged out.

Does anyone have words of wisdom, pictures and appreciably both for internal lightening cuts? I am aware the gold cup slides were marginally lighter than non goldcup models.

Post Posted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 6:18 pm 
I dug around and found older posts of plunge cuts done with ~3/16 ball cutters on each side of the disconnector rail.. appears the plunge was made to be in plane with firing pin bore.

I also found the disconnector rail was narrowed with an endmill.

However, what type of lightening can be done to the front of slide? The area between upper lugs and bushing slot. I have understood that this area may be lightened with a ball end cutter. I was guessing roughly a .015" removal of material here would be safe and provide weight reduction.

Any one care to chip in for insight or pictures?

Post Posted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 1:41 am 
I think the proper way is to use a boring bar and a horizontal attachment.. You need to leave sufficient material in front of the upper lugs for barrel alignment. The set up is actually fast and easy. The removed material is simply clearance, but I did grind a special punch to center the axis.. I put a u tube video on Face Book of this set up in operation on the Firearms Machinist sub forum.

Post Posted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 11:33 pm 
Thank you so much, Jerry. May I ask you for one more trouble.. a link please? I cannot seem to find this video.

Everyone here has been amazing. Thank you all.

Jump to: