[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4601: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3764)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4603: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3764)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4604: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3764)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4605: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3764)
1911Pro.com • View topic - Couple new shop tools

1911Pro.com

The 1911 Forum For Professional & DIY Gunsmithing
It is currently Tue Sep 25, 2018 4:17 am

Board index » 1911s » 1911 Gunsmithing and Refinishing

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 182 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19  Next

Post Posted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 11:41 am 
THAT gets a YOU SUCK...:-)
Shop space...shop space...shop space. If I keep hoping!
Joe

Post Posted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 1:54 pm 

Post Posted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 1:25 pm 
Good buy on the mill.. I've really enjoyed mine.

The framing normally goes pretty fast. It's the finish work that takes all the time. What I have figured out on shop size, is that there never big enough. You seam to expand to what ever space you have then find you need more.

As for contractors, I don't get alone with most of them either. They always want to do things the quickest way and ignore any and all codes, even federal. So I'm like you, end up doing it my self. It just takes me a little longer to get things done.

May I suggest you use the spray urethane foam insulation. It's more expensive but it will pay for it's self in a very short time in energy saved. 1" of it is equal to 8" of fiber glass. It will totally seal off the walls/ceiling, no leakage at all. If you go this route you should put your electrical in conduit. Your heat/cooling requirement will be < 1/2 of what would be otherwise. I did not figure in equipment heat so a little over size is good. It also make for a very quite shop, so you will not know whats going on outside. The only time I know it's storming outside is when I hear rain hit the window unit. I had to add an exhaust fan to my shop to get rid of the cutting oil stink when the chips are flying.

I've complete my first project, of machining a AR-15 barrel. Learned a lot during that exercise. Need to find a hosting site for photos.

Hurricane Harvey went south and east of me. I did not get any rain, not even a sprinkle.

Post Posted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 2:47 pm 
Blue,

I've had numerous people recommend the spray foam type insulation. I may research it more. Sounds like it definitely is worth the extra. I had already planned on piping the building so no worries there. Maybe since I'm not paying someone to build I'll roll that money in that.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Post Posted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 2:42 am 
Very cool Dustin...look forward to watching your shop take form!

Post Posted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 3:27 am 
Awesome... are you hear in Cali, too?

Post Posted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 5:50 pm 

Post Posted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 11:57 pm 
Slowly starting to get the new shop up and running. Building is complete. Moved equipment in last Saturday. Hoping to finish the calibration on the new DRO and tools put in their place.
It's bitter sweet posting these pics as I'll be checking constantly to seek tips from Mr. Keefer that will unfortunately not come. I know we all miss him greatly already but I'll never stop drawing inspiration from his previous replys on this thread and his other posts all over the web.
Received my FFL a few weeks ago so I'm getting close to going public. Fingers crossed for taking on work in January.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Post Posted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 7:16 am 
Great looking shop. Are you going to condition the space or use a dehumidifier?

Post Posted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 2:12 pm 
Great shop! I built mine myself with help from my father and friends. It seemed so huge the first few months. Years later, there are narrow walkways between the tools. :)

I hope you have some heat and cooling. Air conditioning is the most under appreciated tool in the shop and keeps the humidity low. You won’t drop sweat on your tools and work and your big cast tools stay rust free. In the winter, warm hands stay sensitive for good “feel” when working. It cost a bit over a dollar a day, maybe two dollars in the summer peak heat to operate in my shop. I keep mine at 60 in the winter and 80 in the summer with a few fans and the occasional manual temp. bump to break the heat or cold.

That open ceiling is something you might want to take care of too. I can’t tell from the pics if there is insulation or you will be putting some in later. It is going to radiate heat and cold down on you and you will never get as good a chance to get at it as you do now.

Just a suggestion if you don’t have it in the works already. A comfortable environment is a tool too.

Also, you must have a moaning chair. This is the chair you sit in and hold your head in your hands while you think or panic or cry or have a well deserved after hours beer or gather your nerves to make the “I only get one shot at this” cut.

Congrats again, you are going to have some good times ahead.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 182 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19  Next

Jump to: