1911Pro.com

The 1911 Forum For Professional & DIY Gunsmithing
It is currently Wed Nov 26, 2014 1:03 am

Board index » 1911s » 1911 Gunsmithing and Refinishing

Post Posted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 1:35 am 
I have read where some cerakote over top of parkerizing. So if I purchased a kit from brownells could I just cerakote straight over the parkerizing after
a thorough cleaning and degreasing. Or would I need to sandblast and then reparkerize and then immediately cerakote.
Also which black gives the deepest darkest black. Such as this one. http://forums.1911forum.com/showthread. ... t=cerakote

In graphite black!!!

Amazing pistol and finish!

If not to time consuming would you mind giving me the details of your process?

Thanks

John McKenzie

Post Posted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 2:43 am 
I would think that a fresh park job would get you the best results. Pistolwrench is suppose to be one of the best Cerakote applicators around. Maybe he will chime in.

Post Posted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 1:25 pm 
I am hoping he will. Also wondering if I made a stainless steel pot to heet it in would this be acceptable? Maybe a rectangular type pan about 6" deep with stainless weld.

A couple of other questions would be do you tape off parts as to not cerakote them? Which parts? Bet you knew that was coming. :D
What about pins, holes, ramps and rails and such.

Last edited by John McKenzie on Wed Jun 01, 2011 6:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post Posted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 6:26 pm 
I have a cerakote over parkerize in my near future. Previously, I ran KG over parkerize and of the believe this finish is a bit soft. (Assuming your planning to actually shoot the gun ) When it is new, it looks nice. In the past, I have let the parkerize marinade in lube overnight so at a minimum would think you need to completely degrease the parts and then preheat.

I think there was a good procedural thread by Pistolwrench on this subject over on 1911 but since there is this thread here, I will strech out here and hope for some additional input.

Post Posted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 4:26 am 
Park is a real plus, but even more important is the proper surface texture. I use 120 grit Aluminum Oxide at 100psi+.
Many times the original park has been applied over a surface texture too smooth for Cerakote.

No need for stainless steel park tank. An enameled stew pot from Wal-Mart works just fine. I do it outside, over a single burner Coleman cook stove.

Blast, then hang using stainless steel wire. Degrease using carb or brake cleaner. Park using the Manganese Phosphate from Owens Group/Palmetto Industries of Taylors, SC.

Parts are removed from the park pot and placed into another pot containing hot water and some degreaser. like 'Purple Power' or '409'. Then a hot water rinse until the water runs clear with no suds.
Dry with compressed air before water spots develop.

Then hang using black iron wire and alligator clips.

This next part is IMPORTANT!
Degrease again using a highly volatile solvent. My preferred liver killer is the brake cleaner from Wal-Mart. Dry using a heat gun or a hair dryer before water spots can develop.
Compressed air from your shop compressor contains oil and other contaminents.

I use a Paasche VL double-action air brush with the medium needle and nozzle.
I prefer the parts be at ambient temperature.
Use just enough air pressure to get the Cerakote on the work without 'sputtering'.

Do the hard to reach areas first. When doing the exterior surfaces, put on enough Cerakote to achieve a 'wet' look, just shy of running. This takes practice! And good light. And I use 2X reading glasses.

Let the parts air cure for 30 minutes or so.

As for curing, a toaster oven won't cut it. Beware of proximity to the heating elements. Use an infra-red temperature gun to determine surface temp in your particular oven. I like to preheat the oven to 300f, add the parts and then 'ramp-up' to 250f over an hour or so.

After curing you can use #000 steel wool to give the Cerakote a 'finished' look. Use caution here. Use a small, tightly wound ball and target small specific areas. Careful on the edges.

I do not have a dedicated coating area. I spend a fair amount of time setting up, tearing down and cleaning everything. The whole process takes me most of a day.

:D

Last edited by pistolwrench on Fri Jun 03, 2011 4:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post Posted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 5:25 am 
Chuck, that was very detailed and generous explanation. Someday I might give it a go on a gun or two, but I try to stay away from the stronger chemicals as much as possible nowadays, I got plenty of exposure in days gone by. Do you use a mask for any of this?

Post Posted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 5:48 am 
I do have a Dave Berryhill mask that I frequently wear in public.

Sorry Dave!
But I've worn out my welcome in more places than I can remember.
Unlike yourself from the results I have seen!
:oops:

P.S.
Dave,
You may want to avoid the Spirit Room Bar in Jerome, AZ for a few years.

;)

Post Posted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 6:07 am 
Don't tell me there's going to be some new "Wanted" posters coming out?

Post Posted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 6:20 am 
pistolwrench wrote:

P.S.
Dave,

;)

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Profile WWW  

Site Admin

Post Posted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 2:10 pm 
pistolwrench wrote:

Sorry Dave!
But I've worn out my welcome in more places than I can remember.
Unlike yourself from the results I have seen!
:oops:

P.S.
Dave,

;)

Dammit! There's another bar that I can't go to any more!

Just don't start robbing banks wearing the DB mask. I'd rather not see myself on America's Most Wanted.

Profile WWW  

Jump to: