[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4601: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3764)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4603: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3764)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4604: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3764)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4605: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3764)
1911Pro.com • View topic - 80% FRAMES AND THE LIKE...

1911Pro.com

The 1911 Forum For Professional & DIY Gunsmithing
It is currently Wed Jul 18, 2018 11:24 am

Board index » 1911s » 1911 Gunsmithing and Refinishing

Post Posted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 5:27 pm 
There will be no more 80% frame builds or the like allowed. Working on an existing manufacturers frame from scratch is fine, but there will be no more build threads allowed, that the customer is the manufacturer of the frame.

Just the way it has to be.

CW

Post Posted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 12:40 am 
I agree with the forums direction. A 1911 "Pro" forum should be involved with the refinement and correction (if necessary) of the platform. The 80% world seems to be more about the "where and how can I?" of the build. A true Pro can whittle out a frame with no input from a forum.
JMHO
Joe

Post Posted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 8:06 pm 
Chuck,

I've been away a while and am curious about this. I've never had much interest in 80% frames and whatever as machine work is not something I enjoy.

May I ask what happened to disallow these 80% builds, though? I'm just curious, and if not, that's fine.

Regards,

Josh

Profile WWW  

Post Posted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 11:39 pm 
The noise is being made politically about "internet instructions and sales".
Repair and custom modifications can easily be defended. Look at what Facebook and Google are trying to do.

"how I made my own" and "how I modified mine" are a fine line that's actually a giant Chasm. The owner, mods and I, are gonna try and keep us on this side.

If its done the right way, without the how to's, we will take it on a case by case basis.
I am also not very fond of the company propaganda that comes out of some. Vaderspade? was booted because he thought it was his right to undercut smiths and promote his product here. Not happening, especially in that manner.
I hope that helps Josh.

CW

Post Posted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 6:14 am 
Thank you Sir. I wondered if it was something like that.

Regards,

Josh

Profile WWW  

Post Posted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 6:42 pm 
I think Chuck and the mods are taking a correctly conservative stance here. I can't even begin to imagine the liability exposure for a true "made from scratch" site.

Post Posted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 7:00 pm 

Profile WWW  

Post Posted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 11:20 pm 
So if I buy a finished frame I can ask about it here but if I buy an 80% frame I cannot? Isn't gunsmithing gunsmithing? Last time I checked 80% frames were 100% legal by ATF standards.

Post Posted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 12:26 am 
So did you read the whole thread before posting? It explains the reason pretty clearly. Remember, except for the owner, we're all guests here. You don't go into someone else's house and start making demands to change the way they run their house. Same applies here.

Post Posted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 12:27 am 
I'll address this again. ITAR is making heavy moves to stop the transfer of information pertaining to manufacturing. They would like to shut forums like this down. Modifying an existing frame is easily differentiated from making a frame. There is a legal difference between gunsmithing and manufacturing.
This is a gunsmithing forum, we are gonna keep it that way. Just because you CAN legally make your own, doesn't mean we are going to get embroiled in the legal mess of providing free "How to's" for frames.

....last I checked with the owner, it's a free forum, privately owned, and that's the rules, regardless of what's legal with ATF.
It shouldn't have to be repeated twice in less than four posts.

I do find it odd that the 80% suppliers don't seem to have much of an online instructional presence. Think there is something to that?

CW

Jump to: