1911Pro.com

The 1911 Forum For Professional & DIY Gunsmithing
It is currently Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:02 pm

Board index » 1911s » 1911 Gunsmithing and Refinishing

Post Posted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 6:21 pm 
I have a Kimber CDP II that occasionally will throw and empty straight back in my face. A lot of casings go almost straight up upon ejection. To say the least this is aggravating. This straight back ejection takes place about one out of every three or four magazines full of ammo. I have made a lot of checks on the extractor and ejector. Extractor seems ok and I have given it the little bevel treatment, etc. I do not see any marks or damage to the casings. The shape of the ejector looks very similar to my other 1911’s and they do not do this. I read about tuning the ejector to throw casing in a certain direction but I cannot find any pictures or sketches showing how to accomplish this tuning. Can someone post a sketch of how to shape the ejector so the casing will eject more to the side or whatever the fix might be? Thanks

Post Posted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 6:24 pm 
Check the extractor for clocking. Clocking is the extractor rotating in it's channel causing erratic ejection patterns.

Post Posted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 6:35 pm 
I checked the fit of the firing pin stop and it is what seems to me to be just a good slip fit in the slide. I did not try to rotate (clock the extractor). I would guess there is always a little movement allowed, but maybe not. How much clocking is allowed?

Post Posted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 2:12 am 
No clocking should be detected. Any rotation of the extractor in the bore can effect the extraction and ejection of the case.
Joe

Post Posted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 2:56 am 
Thanks for the replies. If I detecte any rotation of the extractor, then what? The firing pin stop seems to be a pretty good fit. Not loose but not tight enough that I need to pry it out. It fits as well as any 1911 I have. That leaves the extractor...................replace the extractor? Or is there a method for closing up the slot in the extractor other than welding and recutting the slot?

And if there is no rotation in the extractor? What's the fix for casings straight up and/or in the face?

Post Posted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 3:52 am 
I think I've seen pros solder a shim in the extractor slot.

Post Posted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 1:45 am 
You could fit an oversize firing pin stop to eliminate any extractor clocking. The Ed Brown 1911 Bench Reference has the best diagrams and instruction on ejectors I've come across.

Mark

Post Posted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 1:50 am 
If the slot in the extractor is shy of the wall of the FPS slot, no FPS will eliminate the extractor's clocking.

Post Posted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 2:02 am 
Good point David.

Mark

Post Posted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 2:52 am 
Is extractor clocking the only possible cause of casings in the face? If so I guess this has to be one of those touchy feely things that I have not yet developed a the right feel. I have checked the extractor. It is not perfect but I cross checked against the other 1911’s that I own. The problem firearm is neither the loosest nor the tightest extractor in my 1911 batch. I have a Springfield’s, STI’s, Kimbers, and a Wilson. Only the Wilson has a very tight fit on the extractor match to the firing pin stop. The Wilson has zero detectable clocking. The STI is the loosest of all and it throws the casings in a neat pile and never in my face. The problematic firearm is a Kimber CDP II, 4in, Compact and only this 1911 hits me in the face with casings. How do I change the angle of ejection so the casings go to the side and not in my face? If the best fix is to replace the extractor then ok. I will do that, as it is easy enough.

Jump to: