[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4601: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3764)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4603: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3764)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4604: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3764)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4605: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3764)
1911Pro.com • View topic - Ejector retaining roll-pin

1911Pro.com

The 1911 Forum For Professional & DIY Gunsmithing
It is currently Sat Jun 23, 2018 10:59 am

Board index » 1911s » 1911 Gunsmithing and Refinishing

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 42 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post Posted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 11:45 pm 

Post Posted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 1:20 am 
Well I am prone to overkill. Last 2 ejector pins I replaced I fashioned from remnants of a 1/16" drill bit. First one I needed to fix on a weekend so I dug around in my dull/broken drill bit collection found a bit piece long enough, adjusted the length champhered the ends degreased an drop of blue lock tite a minor tap tap and done. First one went so well I repeated on the second. In neither case did the ejector break just seemed a bit loose and investigation revealed damaged roll pins. I might add that both were fairly high round count DWs. One a Patriot Marksman and one a CBOB.

Post Posted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 2:10 am 

Profile WWW  

Post Posted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 2:13 am 
being one of the least skilled in such matters, I did use the mark and file method. It worked well for me so far, and made me feel pretty good when it went in with a press type fit.

Post Posted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 4:48 pm 

Post Posted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 6:22 pm 

Post Posted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 2:02 am 
I did my best to file it nearly flush with the inside of the hole, looked through it as squarely as I could until I saw or imagined a thou or so of the pin on the bottom of the hole. The pin is slightly chamfered and I was using some magnification, it's tight. The funniest part is the ejector is not pretty by anyones standards due to my less than experienced fitting, filing, but it's tight too and working so I'm done with it.

Post Posted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 2:06 am 
Log.
A question. Wouldn't ideal fitting of the pin be snug all the way around the arc? Especially with a less than perfect fit of the ejector legs, say a bit loose?

Post Posted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 5:06 am 

Post Posted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 6:12 pm 
Success. I tapped the ejector down with a nylon mallet, but it didn't seem necessary since it was clear the part was bottomed out at both posts. Using a protected clamp to hold downward pressure on the ejector, I used a left handed drill bit through the frame's hole, and with speed on low and using copious amounts of oil; I massaged it through very gently until the cutout was achieved. When I removed the ejector to inspect, the cutout appeared like it was manufactured that way. Drove the roll pin into place and checked the fit. It's rock solid.

Another job well done thanks to the help of you all. Much appreciated.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 42 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Jump to: