1911Pro.com

The 1911 Forum For Professional & DIY Gunsmithing
It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 9:25 pm

Board index » 1911s » 1911 Gunsmithing and Refinishing

Post Posted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 3:57 am 
I have a new slide for a pistol I am building. It has no sight cuts. i know that I will flatten the top of the slide.
How do I determine the height of the front to rear sight relationship? the rear sight will be similiar to a Harrison
Design for the Novak cut.
Thanks

JM

Post Posted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 2:02 pm 
John McKenzie wrote:
I have a new slide for a pistol I am building. It has no sight cuts. i know that I will flatten the top of the slide.
How do I determine the height of the front to rear sight relationship? the rear sight will be similiar to a Harrison
Design for the Novak cut.
Thanks

JM

John, I see no one has answered... I probably do this the hard way, but it is the sure way. I install the tallest front sight available. Just before the bluing tanks, I shoot the gun at the desired / preferred distance for zero, and regulated the front sight height accordingly. Two or three shot group, and do the math.
Jerry

Post Posted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 4:50 pm 
Thanks Jerry, that was going to be my go to plan if no one replied. I have a class coming up at MCC the week of the 6th of August and we will not be able to cover it all but the class
is going to be larger than I hoped for. It is a week long class with Mike Watkins from Brownells. We will be building a 1911 but the size of the class will be dictating how much we get to do.
I would like to have my sight and other cuts done to the slide beforehand. I have been in contact with Mike and he is agreeable with this.

thanks again

JM

Site Admin

Post Posted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 6:33 pm 
Like Jerry said, there is no way to know for sure and your barrel fit will affect it. You could take a complete pistol with a known POI, install a new barrel and your elevation could change due to a slightly different barrel angle when in battery.

I often start with a Novak front slight blank cut to about .200 tall, test fire and then regulate the sights before refinishing. You could also start with a Novak blank, test fire it, calculate the correct front sight height and then order a finished Novak front sight. The Novaks are very consistent in size but that isn't necessarily the case with other front sights that claim to have a "Novak dovetail" so testing with a Novak and then trying to install a different brand front sight will often give you headaches due to variations in dovetail size and roll pin location.

Sometimes I use a laser bore sighter to get close to the correct front sight height but if I'm going to refinish the sight myself, I'll still leave it slightly tall, test fire and then regulate the height.

Profile WWW  

Post Posted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 6:54 pm 
Thanks for the reply Dave, looking forward to posting completed pistol in a couple of weeks.

JM

Jump to: