1911Pro.com

The 1911 Forum For Professional & DIY Gunsmithing
It is currently Sat Jan 20, 2018 11:46 am

Board index » 1911s » 1911 Gunsmithing and Refinishing

Post Posted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 1:34 am 
Hi, I am new to the board. I have been reading your posts for some time and they are great. I am a DYI and love the tips. I have a problem: Having trouble with a slide stop. After the last round is chambered and the magazine is putting upward pressure on the slide stop, the slide stop will sometimes try to catch in the disassembly notch instead of the correct slide lock notch. Sometimes the slide fails to go to lock on the last round which I think is maybe caused by the same problem. I was trouble shooting the situation and saw something that looked a little off. The gun is and STI and the disassembly notch is very pronounced and deeper than the ones one my other 1911's. The disassembly notch is a milled half circle and my other 1911's are very slight indents much less in depth. The top of the slide stop itself looks normal. The top of the slide stop can and does try to get caught in the disassembly notch. Thru usage the notch has built up a very small burr on the muzzle end of the notch which was probably caused by the slide stop bouncing in and out of the notch. I can probably correct this by beveling the notch a little to make it less captive. However I thought that I would ask for the BEST or most correct way to fix the slide sotp so it will not catch in the wrong notch.

Site Admin

Post Posted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 2:17 am 
Welcome to the forum! Have you contacted STI's warranty department yet? They are pretty good about taking care of their customers.

Profile WWW  

Post Posted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 2:38 am 
Dave B wrote:
Welcome to the forum! Have you contacted STI's warranty department yet? They are pretty good about taking care of their customers.

+1

Profile WWW  

Post Posted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 5:55 am 
Besides a warranty repair your fix is it. When the last round is chambered, the follower is pushing up on the slide stop, from that point on. As the slide comes back from firing the last round, the slide stop will rise in and out of the notch, also the slide stop will rise into the stop notch, just to be pushed back down by the bevel at the front of the notch, the slide stops, and begins to close when the slide stop again enters the stop notch to hold open on empty. A lot goes on in those nano seconds.

LOG

Post Posted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 3:47 pm 
Thanks for the replies. I did not return the gun to STI for warranty because I have already serrated the slide, reworked the trigger, changed sights, changed grips, etc. I do not think that I did not do anything related to the slide stop nor slide that STI would not like. However I wanted to fix the problem myself (learn something new) if I could. I enjoy working out the problems, and try not to create new problems along the way. The reply from log man indicates that there should be a bevel on the disassembly notch for the slide stop to bounce across. Like I noted in the original post the disassembly notch in my slide is pretty much a half circle about .187" diameter and will definitely try to catch the top of the slide release if the slide is cycled by hand. I think the notch is too deep and too close to the size of the top of the slide release. The stop notch seems to be fine. I think there is enough drag when the slide stop bounces in and out of the deep disassembly notch that it slows down the slide and occasionally the slide does not lock open. Once of twice the last round has failed to eject. The slide is smooth as butter other than the slide stop interference. I am shooting factory rounds so the power should not be an issue and the slide should make the full trip. In this case I like the idea of adding a small bevel to the notch was going to be my fix unless I heard someone say "do not modify the notch", or that modifying this notch was taboo. I will gently file a bevel on the disassembly notch until the slide stop no longer tries to hang up during the cycle.

Post Posted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 4:18 pm 
Also the front top corner of the slide stop.

LOG

Post Posted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 5:24 pm 
Thanks. I hope to get a chance to try it this weekend.

Jump to: