[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4601: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3764)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4603: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3764)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4604: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3764)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4605: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3764)
1911Pro.com • View topic - random smithery.

1911Pro.com

The 1911 Forum For Professional & DIY Gunsmithing
It is currently Wed Jul 18, 2018 1:31 pm

Board index » 1911s » 1911 Gunsmithing and Refinishing

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 705 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71  Next

Post Posted: Fri May 08, 2015 3:19 pm 
Figured I would add a bit to this thread. Nearly finished with this Kimber and just got done cutting and blending the frame for a higher grip.

Profile WWW  

Post Posted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 9:27 pm 
Here are a few prototypes pins used for a project I've had on the back burner...

Post Posted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 8:33 pm 
Kind of slow here, so I'll give a look at what has been occupying my time.. The 52 did not go to Perry..Accuracy is fantastic, but It developed extraction problems early on, that I was never able to completely correct. This is what appears to be working very well. Need another 100,000 rounds thru it to be sure..:)
I changed the factory extractor to what I believe is a better design.. I moved the pivot pin hole to allow a 1.1 ratio and also moved the hole out ward to pull the extractor body more in line with the cartridge case.. Straight pull, rather than the extractor camming in to get a bite..I also moved the hook back, like we do on the 1911.. The slide was modified to allows this.. I made the extractor from A-2 and ground it to size.. Notice the small set screw that allows micro adjustment of cam out.. :)

The two extractors on the left are factory.. I juggled the hole location on one to test my theory, which immediately indicated the hole had to move out on the extractor body and the need for more width.

Here you can clearly see how far I moved the pin to get 1.1.....FUN STUFF ..!!

Post Posted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 12:37 am 
Most excellent Dr Keefer! More data points on extraction can't do anything but help. If you are so inclined could you expand on your thoughts on the modifications?
Joe

Post Posted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 1:14 am 
Hello Joe
The factory extractor, at rest, was at a very steep angle..
That, I didn't like.. Even with a case in the chamber, the angle was about the same.. Steep. The hook was about .020 ahead of the rim, resting at that angle. I am thinking, at ignition, the slide gets a running start on the hook, which has lever advantage over the extractor spring with the pivot pin setting so far to the rear. It was easy for the extractor to just snap/pop over the rim.. .025 is about all you can hope for on ideal engagement depth for .38 Spl. the hook and rim.. That's not much..and easily overcome.
So I tried a 1.1 pivot pin ratio with the old extractor.. It did better, but I still had a steep angle. So moved the extractor in by machining out the slide and bringing the pivot pin hole on the extractor further out... Now the extractor angle is almost parallel to the case, so the force is straight line with the case with much less tendency for the hook to cam off the rim. My spring has equal force on both sides of the pivot pin, which makes the cam out pressure and distance more critical for feeding, so rather than tig a dot on the extractor and play an endless guessing game, I tried the little adjustment screw..So far it's running like magic..Also, the far left extractor is a new untouched/ unmolested factory replacement. They are extinct.. So sooner or later I would have to make replacements.. As you can see, the factory new is not scientifically engineered. I believe that S&W definitely took some short cuts with this gun. The more I work with it, the more I find wrong. I believe the steep extractor angle is a by product of its 9mm days.. Too soon to declare total victory.. We have a match on Sat.. That will tell the tale..:) Another extinct part is this safety detent plunger.. Very easy to loose.. I have lost several.. So I made up a hand full to have on hand at matches.. Gun is disabled with out it.. I place automotive wheel bearing grease in the spring/plunger bore.. Retards its launch..:)
Tiny part in a big lathe..:)

Fun Stuff..:):)

Post Posted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 3:38 am 
Great extractor project Jerry. Now come to Perry next year and see it in action, hopefully it will not rain.

Profile WWW  

Post Posted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 10:50 am 
Thoughtful reasoning and foresight on the plunger. Make sure to document the dimensions for both parts and add them to your database. I like the setscrew feature also. Much easier to tune that a TIG spot.
Joe

Post Posted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 3:58 pm 

Post Posted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 4:00 pm 

Post Posted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 2:15 am 

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 705 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71  Next

Jump to: