1911Pro.com

The 1911 Forum For Professional & DIY Gunsmithing
It is currently Wed Jul 18, 2018 11:33 am

Board index » 1911s » Amateur & DIY 1911s

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ] 

Post Posted: Mon May 09, 2016 7:13 pm 
I'm building my first 1911 and have an issue with either the magazine catch... or maybe it's the magazine itself. My parts kit came with a Chip McCormick 8 round magazine but it is very difficult to seat and will not come out without actually pushing it from the top.

I did a small bit of filing on the part of the magazine catch that holds the mag in place and I did a little bit of filing inside the grip where there were some rub marks from the magazine and I removed about 1 1/4 circles (rings??) from the mag catch spring. Tese things helped a small degree. The magazine is still hard to seat and comes free with a bit of pulling on it. This also happens to an inexpensive ProMag I have.

On the other hand, I have some MecGar 8round magazines and two Smith & Wesson magazines that came with my SW1911 and they all seat fine and drop free when I press the button.

My thoughts are to just ditch those mags that won't work and stop taking material off the gun. Just curious what the experienced people have to say about it. Is it more likely to be the magazines or is it my inexperience in fitting the parts? The ProMag has been a disappointment since I bought it and I never use it anyway but I thought Chip McCormick mags were supposed to be pretty good.

Thanks

Post Posted: Mon May 09, 2016 10:49 pm 
What references are you using for your build? Blueprints? Is the trigger installed while testing? Do the mags stick without the trigger installed? Is the trigger bow straight? Mag well cut to spec?

Post Posted: Wed May 11, 2016 7:56 pm 
All parts from a complete build kit that I bought. Yes, trigger was installed and it stuck. Yes it stuck without the trigger. And yes, the trigger bow is straight. Can't answer the mag well spec question but other mags work just fine. I've got it pretty well figured out now. After the filing and adjustment mentioned above I sat down with some 400 grit sandpaper and went over it until things began to fit the way they should.

Post Posted: Thu May 12, 2016 3:43 am 
Blueprints here - www.brlcad.org/design/drafting/M1911-A1_REDUX.pdf
Just filing or sanding may not get you a properly functioning gun.

Post Posted: Thu May 12, 2016 9:08 pm 
It works. Thanks!

Post Posted: Sun May 15, 2016 2:29 am 
Dancing around the rules and warning have earned the appropriate response. With the State Department and DOJ attempting admission regularly, a 0 tolerance policy will be in effect. You were warned once Kevin, you chose to ignore it.

You will find other forums on the net that are NOT US owned and could care less

With our current POTUS and his policies and massive overreaching we will NOT tolerate this.

I do not take this lightly.
Promod

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ] 

Jump to: