1911Pro.com

The 1911 Forum For Professional & DIY Gunsmithing
It is currently Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:47 am

Board index » 1911s » Amateur & DIY 1911s

Post Posted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 11:19 pm 
So.... Had the .45 at the range for the second round of tests last week. Found the extractor needed some tuning, it was a little on the light side and not pulling the cases all the way out. The trigger was just over 4 lbs and it was shooting 5" low at 25'. So I headed home after about 25 rounds.

Added some tension to the extractor, took some off the sear spring and shaved the front sight.

Front sight was pretty easy with the dremel in the drill press. Wrapped the slide in masking tape and clamped it into on of my luthier vices at the angle I wanted to shape the sight blade to. Chucked up a reinforced cut-off wheel in the dremel and set the depth stop to give me the right height at the back of the blade. Made a couple dry passes to be sure I was going to be able to push the vice smoothly across the base of the dremel and the cut-off wheel was going to come out where I wanted. Then I slowly and fed the sight blade into the wheel from front to rear and just off to the left of the screw on the dremel. about 90 seconds to work it through and.... Bingo. Finished it off with a med then fine stone to remove the burrs and clean up the cutter marks and it's good to go.

Meanwhile, my carbon fiber grips showed up. BTW: I ordered a different set than I showed earlier. I went with finger contours instead of the full wrap around and applied grip tape to the frontstrap. Not really happy with the grips so I may put the pachmayrs back on it or I may order a set of CF from VZ.

In any event... Took it back to the range today to test the adjustments and get it sighted in properly. Trigger is light, smooth and crisp and the slide feels like it's on ball bearings. The gunsmith at L.E.P.D shot a mag full through it and loved it. So did two of the range officers. And naturally they couldn't believe I did this myself with a dremel tool. :P

So how did it shoot? You tell me:

It still needs some fine tuning on the extractor but I may just go ahead and order an Aftec for it. But it's basically shootin' time. I put a 100 through it today and will prob'ly put a couple more through it next week and work on the reliability.

So how many of you still think:]

1. I'm crazy for trying this.
2. Dremels and guns don't mix.
3. It will end up pooched and all my money and hard work will be down the drain.

Come on. I know some of you were thinkin' at least two of those. :D

You may know a thing and it is not true, but in understanding that thing there can be ONLY truth.

Post Posted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 11:57 pm 
The Dremel does not damage anything... the loose nut that hold it is another story!

Post Posted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 12:47 am 
StrikerDown wrote:
The Dremel does not damage anything... the loose nut that hold it is another story!

Indeed. That's the very reason for the router table and the press. On the other hand, I did do a lot of free-hand work on this one too.

You may know a thing and it is not true, but in understanding that thing there can be ONLY truth.

Post Posted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 8:26 pm 
Had it at the range to test the "stock" barrel, Similar results, accuracy-wise, but the recoil spring needs to be reduced on it. I was shooting 180 gr. and the slide was not going all the way back, which caused lots of failure to extract/eject. Since I will likely never fire 230 gr in this gun I am going to try a 14# Wollf progressive spring and see how it does.

Meanwhile, the barrel/comp, for the .38S finally arrived from Briley, so I have quite a bit of fitting to do.

So, out comes the files, the stones and the sanding sticks. Slow working it this way and I'm still leary of getting it out of square but the barrel hood is fitted and and now just adjusting the lugs to center the firing pin hole a little better. Also waiting on the lug cutting tool from brownells but it should be here in a few days.

Meanwhile, been shooting the .45 in both configurations and it's almost as good as sex. (at my age I'll take all of that feeling I can get) Still a few minor adjustments to make but very pleased with how it turned out. Working up some competition loads based on Sierra's 185gr JHP SportsMaster bullets. They should work well for defense too.

Post Posted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 9:24 pm 
My advice is ignore the firing pin hole and fit the barrel for .042-.047 depth of lug engagement.

CW

Post Posted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 9:33 pm 
Chuck Warner wrote:
My advice is ignore the firing pin hole and fit the barrel for .042-.047 depth of lug engagement.

CW

Thanks, Chuck. I will certainly pay close attention to those dimensions. But if I can get the firing pin hole centered AND still keep that lug engagement would that not be the best?

BTW: The FP hole is not perfectly centered but as Caspian drills that hole .020 higher than spec, primer strike tests were looking uncomfortably high. I'll get out the feeler guages when I get back to it and check it all.

Post Posted: Thu Jan 01, 2015 8:05 pm 
If you get both, great, but don't let firing pin hole dictate your lug engagement.

CW

Post Posted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 12:56 pm 
Nevermind. Problem solved. :)

Jump to: