1911Pro.com

The 1911 Forum For Professional & DIY Gunsmithing
It is currently Tue Feb 20, 2018 2:42 am

Board index » 1911s » Amateur & DIY 1911s

Post Posted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 8:56 pm 
BBBBill wrote:
The trick is to accurately measure and map the slide (tricky without the proper tools) before you start cutting the barrel.

I hear people saying this, when I say I measured my slide. I was lucky, and didnt hear this before I measured, so I didnt know it was supposed to be difficult, maybe I was Lucky :lol:
Used a normal digital caliper, and took measurements from the breechface(measured from the contact marks from the previous barrel) to each lug, and made a list of the dimensions I wanted the barrel to fit. Remeasured everything several times, to be sure everything was right.
Then I measured the barrel a LOT whilie filing with a very fine cut square needle file, with one side ground safe. Combined with a lot of marking with a marker, trial fitting, and re-measuring along the way, I ended up with close to 100% engagement.

I understand that this takes more time than many people wish to use, but when you have bought a good barrel, why not try to get the best from it, by doing the best you can?

Post Posted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 4:35 pm 
evert wrote:
BBBBill wrote:
The trick is to accurately measure and map the slide (tricky without the proper tools) before you start cutting the barrel.

I hear people saying this, when I say I measured my slide. I was lucky, and didnt hear this before I measured, so I didnt know it was supposed to be difficult, maybe I was Lucky :lol:
Used a normal digital caliper, and took measurements from the breechface(measured from the contact marks from the previous barrel) to each lug, and made a list of the dimensions I wanted the barrel to fit. Remeasured everything several times, to be sure everything was right.
Then I measured the barrel a LOT whilie filing with a very fine cut square needle file, with one side ground safe. Combined with a lot of marking with a marker, trial fitting, and re-measuring along the way, I ended up with close to 100% engagement.

I understand that this takes more time than many people wish to use, but when you have bought a good barrel, why not try to get the best from it, by doing the best you can?

Was not happy with the way the barrels on my gun where fit by some of the gunsmiths.
So after

Did it the same way(also from Norway), But on A SVI slide, it has a removable Breach face so so it is a easier to get the hood lengh right. (fit radial lugs first and then hood lenght after)
Remove the Breach face, fitted the radial lugs, using a lugfile and marker and lots of time. Used a V-block as guide for Stoning/Filing the final lenght of the barrel hood.

Remeber I bought some FerroSafe (led) for doing a cat of the lugs in the slide, to be able to measure better with "simple tools", have jet to use it.

EO

Post Posted: Mon May 04, 2015 10:18 pm 
Racegun155 wrote:
Did it the same way(also from Norway), But on A SVI slide, it has a removable Breach face so so it is a easier to get the hood lengh right. (fit radial lugs first and then hood lenght after)
Remove the Breach face, fitted the radial lugs, using a lugfile and marker and lots of time. Used a V-block as guide for Stoning/Filing the final lenght of the barrel hood.

That sounds like a good idea! fitting the three lugs for full contact without having to worry about the hood length. Have been contemplating on changing to one of those SVI slides on my Para, so I can have different caliber barrels fitted to the same gun.
Do you know who imports SVI to Norway these days?

Post Posted: Sun May 10, 2015 9:30 pm 
Importer capsicum, but all sivilian sales trough Pedersen Våpen lager.
last I checked they had slides in stock.

bought 2 svi barrels hoodlengt Is long enough for fitting in the svi slide with stock lenght breach face.
To short for caspian and les bear slides.(little disaponted there)

Hood width a little on the narrow side even for the SVI breach face.

Jump to: