1911Pro.com

The 1911 Forum For Professional & DIY Gunsmithing
It is currently Tue Feb 20, 2018 2:49 am

Board index » Other Firearms & Information » Shotguns

Post Posted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 4:48 am 
I recently bought an 1187SP
22" smooth bore barrel w/choke tubes and iron sights
Good to VG shape and appears to have low miles .

I bought it to make another Tacticool shotgun out of.
(I've made 4 out of pumps, but this my first attempt with an auto loader)

Here's the dilemma... it won't cycle cheap light load target ammo .
It'll run fine with heavy loads , but not the light stuff .
Thru google search, it seems the SP (deer and turkey) guns are tuned to run heavy loads and unreliable cycling with light loads is pretty common

I figure if i ever load it for home defense, it will be 00 buck ...and that cycles that fine.
But i want to feed any ole junk like my 1187 Premier will .

question......can I change the recoil/gas system to make it cycle anything (again, like my Premier that will feed anything and everything)

If so, what parts specifically do I need?

Thanks

..L.T.A.

Profile WWW  

Site Admin

Post Posted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 4:06 pm 
There are a few things that you can try before opening up the gas ports. Try using 2 O-rings instead of one and try the "activator" that Remington sells. It's a steel ring that slips on the mag tube with the other gas rings/pistons.

Go to Brian Enos forum and search the Shotgun subforum. There is lots of info there from the guys that shoot 3-gun.

Profile WWW  

Post Posted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 3:25 am 
Dave B wrote:
Try using 2 O-rings instead of one and try the "activator" that Remington sells. It's a steel ring that slips on the mag tube with the other gas rings/pistons.

Thanks Dave

AT the risk of Rogers making fun of me for not knowing nuttin' (i'm real sensitive you know) :lol:
do you mean this?

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?p ... ber=334460

BTW, I cleaned and lubed it today and shot some Rem Premier Target (I haven't a clue how it was in my ammo cabinet ) but cycled fine.
The cheap Fed target stuff from Wal-Mart wouldn't though

..L.T.A.

Profile WWW  

Site Admin

Post Posted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 2:26 pm 
Yep. Or you can buy less expensive (MUCH less expensive) O-rings from industrial supply companies. IIRC, you need viton because neoprene can't take the heat. I bought a bag of them and will look up the specs for you. The only difference is the Remmy O-rings have a moly coating so they are supposed to last a little longer. Buy them in bulk, replace them often and you'll still be way ahead. Also make sure that the outside of your mag tube is clean and free from carbon build up.

A lot of guys that shoot 1100s and 11-87s for 3 gun keep the gas piston parts wet with a synthetic lube. It provides a better seal and it helps keep the crud in suspension. Petroleum-based oils will burn and turn to carbon, making a bigger mess.

Like I said, lots of guys have already been down that road and have posted info about this at Brian Enos' forum.

Profile WWW  

Post Posted: Wed Nov 02, 2016 5:22 am 
I am thinking of taking my model 1300 and turning it into a home defense weapon. tactical pump handle and folding butt stock etc

I have 2 barrells one for standard shot and one thats a smooth bore deer barrel.

the deer barrel is shorter and more appropriate for home defense. I do not believe that 00 buck will hurt it and all the research I have done says its ok....most places say however that if its a rifled barrel .... the shot groups are horrible but again, my smooth bore is ok.

you guys have never steered me wrong and I would hate to mess up a good shotgun...what are your thoughts?

RC

...By the way, are you aging rapidly? Click here & slow it down!

Profile WWW ICQ  

Jump to: