1911Pro.com

The 1911 Forum For Professional & DIY Gunsmithing
It is currently Tue Jan 23, 2018 5:17 pm

Board index » Other Firearms & Information » Shotguns

Site Admin

Post Posted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 8:35 pm 
I'm curious if anyone has experienced failures of the parts found on a Remington 870 Express that aren't used on the Police model (plastic trigger housing, MIM extractor, plastic magazine cap retainer, etc.). I'm especially interested in the plastic trigger housing (trigger plate).

If you have, I'd appreciate info on the failure and the age or number of rounds fired before the failure occurred.

Profile WWW  

Post Posted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 9:43 pm 
I have been very curious about this as well for a couple of reasons, but first and foremost if I should spring for the 870P or just go with the Express and work the internals myself then mill my own trigger housing.

Profile WWW  

Post Posted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 5:25 am 
I have never heard of any issues with the polymer trigger group, in fact a lot of guys seem to prefer it over the cast unit because in normal usage it is just as durable, and stays cleaner. Nor have I ever really heard of any actual problems associated with the other "downsides" of the Express, aside from dimples in the magazine tube which prevents the installation of an extended tube, which is an easy fix. However, Remington came out with the 870 Express HD model a couple of years back, it does not have the plastic magazine cap retainer, or dimples in the mag tube, and sports an 18" IMP cylinder barrel, which makes it a good base for a home defense shotgun build, since you won't have to worry about correcting those issues right off the bat. If you pick up one of the HD models, all you need to do is switch out the MIM extractor for a milled one, add a higher quality mag follower, maybe a sidesaddle, and you have a superb bedside gun :)

Site Admin

Post Posted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 5:18 pm 
I posted this on a few other forums and got some feedback from a few people who had cracked the plastic trigger plate on their Express model. Usually it was due to dropping the shotgun and I haven't heard of one that cracked from regular use.

The 870 Express is probably be sufficient for most shooters and like you said, you can upgrade to the milled extractor, the heavy carrier dog spring and, if you feel it's necessary, the heavier sear spring found on the 870 Police. The 870 Espress HD with the extended mag tube is indeed a "best buy."

Police guns get more abuse from being carried in a car than from shooting and the metal trigger plate is probably worth the price when used heavily. One big difference is the shallow groove that is machined on top of the 870P receiver but omitted from the 870 Express to cut costs. That groove can be used as a rear sight with the front sight bead to shoot slugs with pretty good accuracy.

Profile WWW  

Post Posted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 2:46 pm 
Dave, I have two 870 Wingmasters(a 12 and a 16) and a Sportsman12M. I do alot of Turkey-hunting with the 12s and a whole lot of Grouse-hunting in Ohio's Hill-Country with the 16. I've never had any problems with the triggerguard or the Extractors in my shotguns. I'd say the 16 has seen the most use. I probably have 8K through it. While this is probably no where near the use a Police-Shotgun gets( I have a Norinco 97 Trenchgun that works admirably in that duty), I've never heard of any friends with problems either.

Post Posted: Wed May 23, 2012 4:14 am 
Dave,
We ran across two 870 Express's having ejector problems in class last summer. The instructor considered it to be poor staking of ejector. He could not get them to hold thru his efforts. Incidently, they made good single shots.

Site Admin

Post Posted: Wed May 23, 2012 3:45 pm 
Funny, I've recently read of a few other ejector failures on the Express guns.

Profile WWW  

Post Posted: Wed May 23, 2012 7:00 pm 
I've seen many a ejector break and the rivets come lose as well on the express models.

Post Posted: Thu May 24, 2012 12:02 pm 
Ejector seems to be the biggest problem, although I haven't seen any, but after hard use, the extractor can be a problem.

I've had customers that wanted the extractor replaced when the gun is new.

Post Posted: Sat Nov 15, 2014 4:32 am 
I bought a brand new Police model in 2001 or 02. After no more than 100 rounds, the ejector came loose, and had to be restaked. The 870 express I got in the late 80s has had no such potentially catastrophic problems - the loose shell latches on the express stay put once the TG is re-fit. My consternation was mostly due to the fact that a Police model would fail so soon, assuming it's what PDs would purchase, and to thinking of a man in blue in the line of duty experiencing a weapons failure. So the only abject failure that I've experienced is on the Police model, not on the Express...

Jump to: