1911Pro.com

The 1911 Forum For Professional & DIY Gunsmithing
It is currently Tue Jan 23, 2018 1:07 am

Board index » Other Firearms & Information » Revolvers

Post Posted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 5:12 pm 
I don't have an immediate need, but I have a collection of Colt Pythons and I'm always interested to hear from anyone who knows a gunsmith who can work on them. I have spoken to some otherwise very competent bread-and-butter gunsmiths who were honest enough to tell me they wouldn't even try to do any action work on a Python.
I hear that Grant Cunningham is very good, but he appears to be booked up for years on end.
Thanks !!
DD

Post Posted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 9:06 pm 
Hello,

Cylinder and Slide has tuned/customized two Pythons and two Diamondbacks (.22 and .38) for me years ago. Their work was excellent.

Colt actions really are not that hard to work on and there are still a few smiths still out there that can do what you need.

I do all my own work now; my problem is....parts.

Good luck.

Post Posted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:47 am 
Yeah I agree with you,Cylinder and Slide has tuned/customized two Pythons and two Diamondbacks I did it too and it's great.

Post Posted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 10:33 pm 
I forgot to mention I have used Cylinder and Slide before.
Bet ya never saw one like THIS before !!

DD

Post Posted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 3:14 am 
Doggie, that's one Python I'd adopt in a heartbeat if it ever wanted to run away from home.
Absolutely superb!!!

Post Posted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 4:25 am 
Ive done a lot of revolvers over the years, Including Pythons. Pythons are the most time consuming to get right and last. Soo many parts to get right, consistancy from gun to gun is hard to duplicate. I have a King Cobra as a result of my frustration with Pythons....lol.

CW

www.warnerprecision.com

Post Posted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 3:42 pm 
I think that once set up correctly (no small feat); most Colt double actions will last forever. I have three that I used for service and PPC years ago; after thousands of rounds, they are still bank vault tight today.

I do sort of look at Colt double actions (D frames to New Services) as being a lot like 1911’s….

Every part does at “least” double duty
Every part needs to be fitted; i. e. there is no such thing as “drop-in”
It is possible to work with previously fitted parts, but it is a pain in the a$$, e. g. peaning/stretching hands, re-cutting ratchet surfaces, etcetera. With the availability of new parts drying up, this is now the norm.

Jim

Post Posted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 7:48 am 
What a nice looking colt python this is one of the best colt i ever see,, it was interesting to carry a weapon like this and i was hopping to get one of this kind..

Profile YIM  

Post Posted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 11:30 pm 
I do Python work, I enjoy working on them. And for clarification sake, don't let anyone tell you a Python is fragile; that's one seriously tough revolver. I think the reason people shy away from the Colts is because they haven't taken the time to study the design. It's really not all that complicated, and the timing issue isn't nearly as critical as people would have you believe. Even Grant Cunningham over-complicates that issue. With a S&W timing is either on, or off. With a Colt's DA (older) there are several levels of timing. You'll find many Colt's that do not have perfect timing (what Grant Cunningham describes), but it's exceedingly rare you find a Colt's DA revolver that's completely out of time.

Jump to: