1911Pro.com

The 1911 Forum For Professional & DIY Gunsmithing
It is currently Sun Jan 21, 2018 7:29 am

Board index » Other Firearms & Information » Revolvers

Post Posted: Sat Sep 19, 2015 1:50 pm 

Posted this on Facebook yesterday for fun, but it could have been serious. Client brought me a seized SW 681 revolver with what he thought was a squib load. Turns out it was a decapping pin that went AWOL.
The owner was loading and the pin went awol. He figured it fell on the floor, so he thought nothing of it. Best we can figure is that it got stuck in a flash hole for his .38 ammo. Just enough to stick, but not enough to prevent a new primer from seating, powder and bullet also getting in. Now when he shoots, the SW 681 has a FP on the hammer, no transfer bar. The hammer falls, sets off the primer, but now the decapping pin is pushed out the flash hole by the force of the powder burning. The pin is lined up with the corresponding hole in the SW frame since the FP makes center contact with the primer. The pin is forced into the revolver FP hole at a slight angle and does some minor damage to the frame. The bullet is not fully moved out the case with the loss of energy out the flash hole( very light Cowboy load). I never would believe this could happen if you told me, but there it is.

Profile WWW  

Post Posted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 2:56 pm 
wow, I guess this is one of those things that make gunsmithing interesting! Thanks for sharing.

Post Posted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 11:09 am 
Been running wheelguns for a long, long time and now I can say I've seen it all?....

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Profile WWW  

Post Posted: Sat Sep 26, 2015 8:59 pm 
:shock: :!:

Jump to: