[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4601: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3764)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4603: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3764)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4604: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3764)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4605: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3764)
1911Pro.com • View topic - .22 rimfire forcing cone dimensions

1911Pro.com

The 1911 Forum For Professional & DIY Gunsmithing
It is currently Mon Sep 24, 2018 1:07 pm

Board index » Other Firearms & Information » Revolvers

Post Posted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 7:54 pm 
I have read Kuhnhausen, and done several google-searches, and have been unable to find any specs on .22 rimfire forcing cones.

Can anyone help me out? It would be greatly appreciated!

Post Posted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 11:19 pm 
Forcing cones on what model blaster?

Post Posted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 3:57 am 
Don't know what end result you are looking for, but in the Bullseye world, most revolver smiths have abandoned the archaic forcing cones for free bore, or Taylor Throats. You can look up Jim Stroh's website for good descriptions on the process. Jim was acquainted with Taylor, and I believe Jim was the first to utiliize the process. He schooled me on it, years ago, and I would never consider a traditional forcing cone for any application.
I have relined 22 revolvers, and used free bore in lieu of the cone.. relining was once thought to be impractical on revolvers, because of the pressure the forcing cone creates.. Free bore removes those pressures. Why begin to upset the projectile while it is unsupported in its transition from the chamber throat to the bore..?? Free bore traps the projectile in a supported condition and gently eases transition into the leade.. which should be 1-1/2 degrees.
Accuracy is much improved, and leading reduced to a minimum.
Jerry

Post Posted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 6:40 pm 
Its a gunsmith friend of mine who does rebarreling on different Smith and Wesson revolvers who asked me for specs a few days ago, since I have provided info on other calibers previously.

The guns in question are Smith and Wesson J and K frames i .22lr, he just wants to know how the forcing cones are cut at the factory, angles and min/max opening.

Dont think I'll get him interested in doing freebores, but I did mention it today, so we'll see.

I get to read up/try to find theory, and he wants me to tell him the details if I understood any of it :roll:

Post Posted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 2:13 am 
Evert
I will dig up the info for you tomorrow.. I have the dimensions from the old days..:)
Jerry

Post Posted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 2:37 am 
I remember it being 11°, but can't recall the major diameter any more. Typically, they were checked with Go/NoGo guages, but the inquisitive and anal people like knowing the actual dimensional range. I don't think I even have those books any more. A while back it was all considered black magic.

Post Posted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 5:20 pm 
Rough sketch
Brownells sells a guage for $30. It is listed at 11degrees.. I measured mine, it is 12 degrees included. I would single point the cone and not rely on someone's mass produced gauage. C/L and concentricity are very important part of the process.
Goodluck..

Post Posted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 8:51 pm 
Thanks, this is very good!
I have found max./min. dimesions for the entry of the cone on several Calibers in Kuhnhausens D/A Ruger and SAA workshop manuals, but no specs for .22 rimfire.

Post Posted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 11:43 am 

Post Posted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 7:02 pm 
I found them at brownells... after Jerry mentioned it. They have an 11degree reamer as well.

Just to be sure I searched through Kuhnhausens SAA manual again, and there I found a list of forcing cone entry diameters I havd forgotten about :o
It gives .238" as minimum and .243" as maximum diameter on the entry of the cone.

Jump to: