1911Pro.com

The 1911 Forum For Professional & DIY Gunsmithing
It is currently Tue Sep 25, 2018 6:47 pm

Board index » Other Firearms & Information » Revolvers

Post Posted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 9:11 pm 
I picked up a Talo edition of the subject revolver yesterday. And much to my dismay, I had one heckuva time loading my 200gr LSWC's into the cylinder and firing off the first shot, then it functioned fine. I did some research and it seems this is a common problem.
Today I called Ruger and confirmed this. Their TS came right out and said the gun was not designed to shoot reloads. How stupid is that? A gun designed to shoot factory ammo only. Maybe Ruger is getting a kickback from all the ammo makers.

So, my research and trials at home showed me it works just fine with plated 230 gr bullets, but not the extra 0.001 of a typical cast bullet. And wouldn't you know I have a couple thousand 0.452 LSWC's at home, as they have become a favorite plinking load.

Any DIY fixes?
I did find a thread naming a guy who would "fix" the chambers for 42 bucks, but that was a couple years ago and his site does not load. But I guess it's possible to correct.
I've got rifle building buddy who cuts his own chambers in the rifles he builds (.22 rimfire and that 6mm PPC). Anything that requires machining to a handgun with him is basically his first time.

I hate to have to shoot specific bullets/loads through this handgun, but my options are limited unless it's a basic, though meticulous, fix. Maybe just a honing will fix it.

I appreciate any input.

Post Posted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 10:50 pm 
Give Dave Manson a call. Manson reamers. He might have a fix for you, or know someone who can do it.
Its silly to have to use only factory ammo. I don't have a reamer for it yet.

CW

Post Posted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 11:42 pm 
Thanks, Chuck.
It turns out Brownells has those Manson throat reamers. They make one specifically for opening up revolver cylinders, but I see no reason why this one won't work.
http://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-tools ... =513053450

That one is half the price of the revolver reamer and that's not adding in the pilot bits. Forty bucks to do the job myself is right up my alley.

Post Posted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 5:41 pm 
I had a Blackhawk that wouldn't shoot for anything. Talked with a good friend and it seems Ruger SA revolvers suffer from two maladies. The .45 caliber chambers have undersized throats from the factory. This squeezes a lead bullet down then lets gas escape passed it in the forcing cone leading to severe leading. That was my problem: leading. Next is the 'thread crush' where the threads are on the barrel. It seems the barrel bore is slightly undersized through the threaded portion. Lapping will usually cure that.
I reamed my Colt and ACP cylinder throats to .4525 (for .452 slugs) and lapped the threaded section of the bore. My Blackhawk shoots great now.

Post Posted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 6:04 pm 
Thanks for the information on the bore, Rick.
I did end up talking to Dave Manson and he said that what Brownells tech dept had recommended was the wrong item. The description was wrong. He told me which reamer to get and also the pilot bushings and I did the job myself.

Jump to: