1911Pro.com

The 1911 Forum For Professional & DIY Gunsmithing
It is currently Mon Jan 22, 2018 5:40 am

Board index » Other Firearms & Information » Revolvers

Post Posted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 5:40 am 
I got this awhile back New and have not had the chance to shoot it yet. I have looked it over well and I really like it. I noticed a big old burr hanging off what I believe they call the hand? The lever that moves the cylinder. I hate burrs. Specially on New guns. Makes Me wonder how many more of them are flapping around the insides. I'm thinking of maybe trying My hand at smoothing up the action on this. Is this something I should not even consider doing Myself? Or within the grasp of a carefull slow moveing cautious first timer with avalible information of others and technical books? I'm considering removeing the lock also if I do this. I would really like to do this Myself as a learning experience so any tips would be great to hear. Also, Is anybody here a master of this job in case I chicken out?
Thanks,
Larry

Post Posted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 3:46 am 
Hi,
I've cleaned up My burr on this thing and cleaned the insides of some grit and am ready to put this back together. I'm wondering what would be best to use for Lube on the inside of a this S&W 22-4 Revolver. Is the Brownell's Action Magic worth useing or is My mil-comm TW25B Oil or grease as Good as anything? Recommendations appreciated as I don't want to take it back apart for awhile and Smoother would be Cooler.
Larry

Post Posted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 7:10 am 
You don't have to take the plate off to lube it again. If a while is a loooong while mix in a little molybdenum.

Post Posted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 9:34 am 
Larry,
...there is very little as satisfying as a smooooth revolver trigger. You can do it no sweat.
I had posted some pictures that disappeared with a photo account, but if you'd like, I can post some of then up again if you don't feel like its a thread hi jack....

If you swear not to tell anyone, the best lube I have ever found is eerily similer to Trigger Slick. Go on down to the John Deere place on Mauldin Rd. Tell them you want a tube of that nasty gray moly grease. 1 tube will do 2 5000 series tractors or...about 5000 guns. should be about 15 bucks.

;)

www.warnerprecision.com

Post Posted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 6:22 pm 
Mr. Warner, I would like to see those images. Occasionally, my bride would say'frequently', I have some difficulty absorbing words. Images help a bunch. Images, accompanied with words, are much better.

If those photos aren't appropriate here, an e-mail of those photos would be most welcome.

Thank you,

salty

Post Posted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 7:10 pm 
Thanks for the info Chuck. Yes, I am able to handle slickin this thing up. Got to start somewhere and they still make parts for it.

Funny thing about the John Deere Moly Grease, The local big John Deere place is Right at the entrance of the road to the range I go Shootin at. :D Now I'm gonna have to find 2,495 more revolvers to buy. Sandy will like that I bet.

(Whoa) Make that 4,995 more to Buy!

And Mr Warner Please Do post your pictures / comments anytime. I'd be Honored for a HiJack and as usual I'm sure to learn.
Thanks,
Larry

Post Posted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 7:50 am 
You probably have a Model 22-4, Model of 1917. I can't tell from your photograph, but if your revolver has a lanyard ring, it's a furtherance of the original S&W Model of 1917, which was produced to supplement the shortage of Model 1911 semi-automatic pistols during The Great War.

When S&W brought them out in the ca. 2006-2010 years, they came finished in nickel, blue, and case-hardened finishes. The stocks would be smaller, period types with the S&W medallions.

There were more than just the "Thunder Ranch" models produced in the models 21, 22, and 24. They appear as "Classics" in the S&W catalogues. I have three of the re-issued "Classics", and none are Thunder Ranch models.

Profile YIM  

Jump to: