[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4601: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3764)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4603: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3764)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4604: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3764)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4605: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3764)
1911Pro.com • View topic - Which FFL?

1911Pro.com

The 1911 Forum For Professional & DIY Gunsmithing
It is currently Thu Jul 19, 2018 3:00 am

Board index » 1911s » Tutorials, "How To's" and FAQ's

Post Posted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 12:46 am 
Hi Folks,

I'll be applying for my FFL within the next year.

I'll probably be calling the ATF and bugging them a lot before actually sending in the paperwork as I flat don't want to mess it up. Additionally, I'll have to buy a new business license (so far as I can tell, anyway) as the current one does not have the ability to receive firearms.

Though I have a bunch of questions about the process, the three which stand out most are these:

1. Would a Dealer's or Manufacturer's license serve me best? I do not plan to run a gun store, just a repair shop.

2. Do I have to have a shop prior to applying? The way the ATF asks that question is a bit confusing. My current shop for sights is attached to a house and I definitely want the gun shop separate from any living quarters.

3. What insurance do you recommend, and how much?

If anyone wants to tackle these I'd be most appreciative.

Thank you,

Josh

Profile WWW  

Post Posted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 1:01 am 
07 without question.

Post Posted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 4:26 am 
What's the local zoning at the location you want to set up shop? That is a big issue with state licenses and the ATFE.

Profile WWW  

Post Posted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 5:28 am 
Thanks folks.

Mr. Warner,

07 it is.

Mr. Derr,

It will likely be outside city limits and not zoned. If I must do this in town, I will buy or rent in the business-zoned part. I don't have a whole heck of a lot of credit as I've always saved for whatever I wanted, and am talking to my uncle, a senior vice-president in a national real-estate firm to try to figure out the best way to buy.

There is a small retail gun shop a gent west of here runs as a hobby. He converted an out-building, got his FFL, and began selling guns. It's a nice place and the only local place to get real black powder.

A setup like he has would be ideal. He has a day job and runs it for a few hours on evenings. Mine will be full-time with me as the sole employee.

Thank you,

Josh

Edited: Mistakes via Blackberry fixed on the laptop.

Profile WWW  

Post Posted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 5:48 am 

Profile WWW  

Post Posted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 6:53 am 
Read through this.

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1352&hilit=atf

...And there have been changes since.

CW

Post Posted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 10:22 pm 
Chuck,
Any info you would share on those changes would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance!

Post Posted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 8:32 am 
I am also planning on getting my FFL 07. because I want to manufacture suppressors. I think lack of sound is going to become super popular in near future. its not doing bad now, but more and more don't want people to know they are shooting these terrible things called firearms.

from what my FFL 07 holder has told me, even re bluing a gun can be manufacturing. other pluses for having 07 , no store front required, no hours open to the public, will need secure location for what you have in-stock. safe or vault. not 100% sure if alarm system is required, but recommended. no store front means the less than desirables wont know you are there or what you do. I my area that is a plus. becoming a corporation (inc) has many benefits also.

Post Posted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 7:22 pm 
I will try my best to post the changes as I know them, in the next few days. I won't post them until I have the relevant links. ATF has been changing their website a lot and its been a little confusing to keep up with.

CW

Post Posted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 7:41 am 
I have not checked on zoning for my location yet.. what i would like to know is are we looking for zone specific to operating a firearms store / manufacturing place of business or does it just need to be zone for business of any kind

Last edited by hawk45 on Tue Jun 30, 2015 7:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jump to: