1911Pro.com

The 1911 Forum For Professional & DIY Gunsmithing
It is currently Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:49 am

Board index » 1911s » Tutorials, "How To's" and FAQ's

Post Posted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 2:37 am 
I know there is a thread in here somewhere discussing them, but its one of those search terms too short to search in a forum lol.

A "U.S. Gov." stamped frame in good condition was offered to me recently, and the first thing that popped into this Marine's thick skull was "MEU (SOC) build!!!" :mrgreen: . Well, I began google searching what exactly was used in them and for pics of them, and discovered the info is scattered all over the web in little snippits and the pics of real ones scarce. So I figured, since these are about the last vestige of our beloved 1911 still serving the U.S. in combat, there should be a gathering of this info. Here is what I have compiled, and please feel free to make any corrections or fill any holes in what info I have here.

Info in a 2002 publication: "The revised parts list included barrels, bushings, link pins, sear springs, ejectors, firing pin stops, mainspring housings and mainsprings, all from Nowlin Manufacturing. Slides were ordered from Springfield Armory, with front sight, pins, beavertail safeties and recoil spring guides came from Ed Brown. Novak was contracted for rear sights, Wilson Combat provided extractors and mag release buttons, while King's Gun Works supplied ambidextrous thumb safeties."

http://www.sightm1911.com/lib/history/meusoc.htm
"[b]King’s Gun Works supplies the beaver-tail grip safety and an ambidextrous thumb safety[/b]. Future rebuild pistols will have a memory bump on the grip safety." "Videcki aluminum Match triggers are installed, and tuned to a pull of between 4-5 pounds. Colt Commander hammers replace the standard spur hammer. Slides are commercial contract. Initially, one vendor supplied all of the slides, but after the initial purchase problems developed. Caspian and Springfield Inc. currently supply all of the slides. The new rebuilds will have forward slide serrations." "Barrels are provided by Bar-Sto. The barrel bushings are from King’s Gun Works. The front sight is also form King’s Gun Works and is staked on." "The high profile rear sight is custom made at the RTE shop. This is an excellent unit, providing a good sight picture. It is secured to the slide by a hex head screw. The ejection port is lowered and scalloped to improve ejection. A fiber recoil buffer is installed."

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m ... _n6040330/
"The newer pistol has Novak sights, an Ed Brown Memory Groove grip safety and a Wilson Combat barrel. The older pistol has a BARSTO barrel, a Wilson Combat grip safety and high profile fixed sights that you might not readily recognize. The older pistol's sights are a Marine armory special. They include a standard Millett front and an "in-house" Marine-made rear. The rear sight is high, has anti-glare serrations on the slightly undercut top half and an adjustment/lock-down screw in the base of the sight notch."

http://www.absoluteastronomy.com/topics/MEU(SOC)_pistol
Specifications: "The original pistols were hand-selected standard government issued Colt M1911A1s that were gutted, deburred, and prepared for additional use by the USMC Precision Weapon Section (PWS) in Quantico, VA. They were then assembled with after-market grip safeties, a rounded hammer, ambidextrous thumb safeties, lighter triggers made by Videcki, improved high-visibility sights, accurized match-grade barrels made by Bar-Sto, Pachmayr rubber grips, front cocking-serrations, and improved stainless steel magazines made by Wilson Combat. The trigger-pull weight is specified at between 4.5 and 5.0 pounds-force. The pistol's components are hand-fitted and are not interchangeable. The last four digits of the weapon's serial number are stamped on the top of the barrel, on the right-side of slide assembly, inside of the beavertail grip safety, on each side of the ambidextrous thumb safety, and on the inside face of the mainspring housing group"

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m ... n27506051/
"These little-known weapons all originate at the Marine Corps' Precision Weapons Shop (PWS) in Quantico, Virginia. There, the pistols are assembled by Marine 2112s (Military Occupational Specialty of gunsmith), usually on vintage GI or Springfield Armory frames (although Caspian frames are now being used, too). A number of commercially available parts are used in the building of a MEU(SOC) .45. Slides are almost universally Springfield Armory, while barrels may be from any of several manufacturers, such as Bar-Sto, Ed Brown, Nowlin and Wilson Combat. These pistols are further furnished with ambidextrous safeties, skeletonized hammers and target triggers, extended beavertail grip safeties, and Novak LoMount sights. The guns are all hand-fitted by PWS gunsmiths. In fact, major parts such as the barrel, safety and slide are all engraved with the frame's serial number to prevent accidental interchanging of parts between weapons. While not true "match grade" pistols, they are described by the PWS as "combat accurized." After test firing and final fitting, the guns are Parkerized and shipped to the appropriate unit.
When a Marine is initially issued his PISTOL, M1911A1, MEU(SOC) .45CAL, he is also issued a Weapon Record Book, seven Wilson Combat 7-round magazines, a package of five Shok-Buffs and a cleaning kit."

I also found this, but dont know if it's a bid request only, or if this is in actuality a parts list from the Corps. Maybe someone with more ability to read legal jargon could clarify that lol.
here is the webpage link: https://www.fbo.gov/index?s=opportunity ... =1&au=&ck=
There is a file on that page with a parts list, but I dont know how to attach the file here
https://www.neco.navy.mil/synopsis_file ... -__M45.xls

Post Posted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 3:05 am 
Here are a few pics I have that actually show the whole pistol good:

Post Posted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 3:12 am 
"The last four digits of the weapon's serial number are stamped on the top of the barrel, on the right-side of slide assembly, inside of the beavertail grip safety, on each side of the ambidextrous thumb safety, and on the inside face of the mainspring housing group"

Here is an example of two of the stampings, does anyone have any pics of how the other stampings were placed? (out of curiosity, what Springer slide is this one? It has no fcs, but also the ejection port isnt lowered or flared. Its like a b***ard stepchild of a Mil-Spec and a G.I. :lol: )

Site Admin

Post Posted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 3:41 am 
The specs for the MEUSOC pistol have evolved over the years because of feedback from the operators and also because PWS has been flexible enough to use alternate parts when the spec'd part was not available. This explains why there are discrepancies in some of the parts used between different articles written about the pistol. There is a lot of documentation available for the M45, which is latest version.

Profile WWW  

Post Posted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 8:35 am 
thanks Dave. Yes, Im wanting to build an early version since Im not a big fan of FCS. Of course that makes it infinately more difficult to built being the ambi and grip safeties are no longer in production and the sights custom. I see the grip safeties pop up for sale from time to time, but Im sure the ambi safety will be a royal pain to scrounge up.

What's the deal with the two Springfield slides up above that look like Mil Spec slides, but dont have a flared or lowered ejection port? Ive never seen one before and cant imagine why the Corps would use them.

Site Admin

Post Posted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 3:24 pm 
SemperFi1977m wrote:
...What's the deal with the two Springfield slides up above that look like Mil Spec slides, but dont have a flared or lowered ejection port? Ive never seen one before and cant imagine why the Corps would use them.

I don't know fur sure but it's probably what was available at the time. The ejection ports appear to be lower than the GI version and the radius on the lower corners is different than the GI version too. They could have come from Springfield that way or they could have been lowered by the 'smiths at PWS.

Profile WWW  

Post Posted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 1:03 am 
Dave B wrote:
SemperFi1977m wrote:
...What's the deal with the two Springfield slides up above that look like Mil Spec slides, but dont have a flared or lowered ejection port? Ive never seen one before and cant imagine why the Corps would use them.

I don't know fur sure but it's probably what was available at the time. The ejection ports appear to be lower than the GI version and the radius on the lower corners is different than the GI version too. They could have come from Springfield that way or they could have been lowered by the 'smiths at PWS.

I asked around...apparently this was a slide used very early in Springfield Armory 1911 production.

Ive already gathered up a used King grip safety, an unused King ambi safety (oversized paddle, but a file will fix that), & an unused Videcki trigger. I still need to hunt up the front sight and make or modify an existing sight for the back. From what Ive read, the slide stops & mag releases were checkered and of unknown origin, so they will be easy. I also read that he MSH is suppose to be a serrated, flat one with lanyard loop of unknown origin, so another easy part to get.

I do have one more question: Ive read conflicting info that either Clark or King were the original grip safety used in the early builds. Do you know which one it was? Is there a particular part number or common name for the Millet front sight? That way I know what to ask for in WTB threads.

Thanks for all your insight Dave; this Marine really appreciates it :D . Im a stickler for detail and dont want a single aspect of this "Variant 1" pistol incorrect.

Post Posted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 12:16 am 
The slide is off a "Standard" model, pre mil-spec.

As far as I know, the Clark is the correct grip safety. That is the one shown in your pics anyway.

There are a few options on front sights, mostly it depends on how tall the rear is. The PWS rear sights were pretty tall, and I believe they used a .225 tall front and shortened as needed. .200 and .225 seem to be the most common sizes still around, and if your planning on making your own rear, either will work.

You need to get a Colt wide tenon front sight and trim it down to fit the Springfield slide.

For the MSH, Caspian makes a flat, serrated housing with a lanyard loop. Part number is R42FBL it was like $35 bucks.

Here is another source for good info- http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_5_49/86667_The_MEU_SOC___45__ICQB__and_M45_Close_Quarters_Combat_Pistol___Updates_to_OP.html&page=1

Most of my info has come from DaveB, don't let him fool you, he is the MEU SOC master.

I like MEUSOC's too. :mrgreen:

Post Posted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 9:43 pm 
SemperFi1977m wrote:
out of curiosity, what Springer slide is this one? It has no fcs, but also the ejection port isnt lowered or flared. Its like a b***ard stepchild of a Mil-Spec and a G.I. :lol: )

This was the first thought I had when I looked at it. Nevermind the couple of pics above that show it with front cocking serrations. :lol:

Site Admin

Post Posted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 11:08 pm 
SemperFi1977m wrote:
...I do have one more question: Ive read conflicting info that either Clark or King were the original grip safety used in the early builds. Do you know which one it was? ....

I've read in magazine articles that a Kings grip safety was used on early guns but have never seen a photo of one or been able to confirm that from anyone who built them. I suspect that some gun writer read "Kings (ambi) safety," made an error and wrote that Kings grip safeties were used but I have never been able to confirm that.

If anyone from the USMC can clarify this, please drop me a line.

Profile WWW  

Jump to: