1911Pro.com

The 1911 Forum For Professional & DIY Gunsmithing
It is currently Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:38 am

Board index » 1911s » Tutorials, "How To's" and FAQ's

Post Posted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 10:55 pm 
Hello all,

I purchased a Harrison Design thumb safety recently and tried to fit it to my Les Baer PII last night. I have fit Wilson, Ed Brown, and EGW thumb safeties before on my Kimber, Dan Wesson, and STI 1911s before without much drama, but after doing the usual filing last night, I could not deactivate the safety at all. I recall reading that HD thumb safeties have an additional feature (fitting) where you would need to fit it to the gun also. I could see some extra "meat" on the top side of the lug that's hitting the back of the hammer and preventing the thumb safety from deactivating...

Long story short, has anyone installed this part before and other than cutting the bottom of the lug to fit the sear, where else did you have to cut to fit? Thanks much in advance... If I had put this post in the wrong forum please move it.

Post Posted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 1:26 pm 
Sorry I only saw this now, 2 years later. I've written a very comprehensive set of fitting instructions for my thumb safeties that include photographs. You can access them at - https://shop.harrisoncustom.com/content ... 202016.pdf

John Harrison

http://www.HarrisonCustom.com
shop.HarrisonCustom.com

http://www.LouderThanWords.us

Profile WWW  

Post Posted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 3:37 pm 
Great part John. I had a WC gas pedal on my Loaded Springer. It had enough of a gap on the frame side of the safety "pedal" to snag the sweat shield when reholstering cocked and locked. Your safety worked a treat when I shortened the thumb shelf to close to a mil spec shape. Still very easy to cycle on and off and perfect for a carry piece.
Joe

Post Posted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 1:40 am 
Here is the thumb safety fitted and shaped to fix the holstering issue. Just needs some final finishing work. Very Very happy with the part John.
Joe

Post Posted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 11:06 pm 
Thanks John for the instructions! Better late than never. :)

Jump to: