1911Pro.com

The 1911 Forum For Professional & DIY Gunsmithing
It is currently Mon Nov 24, 2014 12:37 am

Board index » 1911s » Tutorials, "How To's" and FAQ's

Post Posted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:23 pm 
I'm going to be setting up a dedicated workbench for working on my guns.
What is commonly used for holding a 1911 frame when you work on it?
do you just a vise with padded/covered jaws or use a fixture like the one by SDM fabricating?

Post Posted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:42 pm 
Quack wrote:
do you just a vise with padded/covered jaws or use a fixture like the one by SDM fabricating?

Did you say frame fixture? Here's one I built. It clamps by expanding with two (red) die springs. You simply loosen the one Allen an that releases the tension, holds and positions well. It can be held in a vise or bolted down.
ImageImageImageImage

LOG

Site Admin

Post Posted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 10:47 pm 
It depends upon what type of work I'm doing on the frame. Sometimes I use padded jaws and hold the frame in my bench vise, sometimes I hold it in a fixture that lets me rotate it, especially if I'm cleaning up checkering on the front strap.

Profile WWW  

Post Posted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 2:05 am 
Quack wrote:

It depends on what I'm trying to accomplish as to what I use to hold the frame. I have 3 different fixtures that go into the mag well and are held by a vise, the SDM (which is great for front strap and magwell work), a Heirloom Precision (which is great for beavertails and anything else) and one that Wilson Combat made long ago. The Heirloom would be my favorite, unless I need to do something requiring a stiff fixture. The rig that Log made is about the nicest I've seen and if he ever sells them (hint - hint), I'd be in line to buy one.

John Harrison

http://www.HarrisonCustom.com
shop.HarrisonCustom.com

http://www.LouderThanWords.us

Profile WWW  

Post Posted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 2:13 am 
Thanks for the input. i knew i saw other fixtures, but couldn't think of what they were.

Post Posted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 5:19 am 
Quote:
It depends on what I'm trying to accomplish as to what I use to hold the frame. I have 3 different fixtures that go into the mag well and are held by a vise, the SDM (which is great for front strap and magwell work), a Heirloom Precision (which is great for beavertails and anything else) and one that Wilson Combat made long ago. The Heirloom would be my favorite, unless I need to do something requiring a stiff fixture. The rig that Log made is about the nicest I've seen and if he ever sells them (hint - hint), I'd be in line to buy one.

And nudge-nudge

Post Posted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 4:22 pm 
I also use a fixture that I made years ago before any commercial fixtures were available. It has a shaft to hold in the vise jaws welded to a flat plate with a set of slots that the frame rails will slide into. A spacer for the two set screw to bear against and it's done. I never wanted to sell them because it would be possible for someone who didn't know when he was tight enough, to break off his frame rails, or at least spring them. I still use it for a few jobs where it gives me better access for one reason or another. Of, and I'm pleased to report that I've never ripped off a set of rails with it! :shock:

Other frame holding fixtures that live around my workbench is a set of Weigand plates as well as a set of shop-built plates from back when I'd squeeze and peen rails. There are also a couple of 1911 frame specific bench blocks, one by 10-8 made of nylon and one from Scott-McDougald from aluminum as well as various round blocks. There are several holding fixtures of different sizes to position a frame in the mill, including one of EGW's Plates. A few mag well fillers that I've rigged to fit different size openings rounds out the stuff I use for holding a frame for working it and not doing damage in the process.

John Harrison

http://www.HarrisonCustom.com
shop.HarrisonCustom.com

http://www.LouderThanWords.us

Profile WWW  

Post Posted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 11:24 pm 
Quack,

I prefer my working vise jaws to be smooth.
Sooooo....I surface ground them.
They are completely non-marring if you add a business card on each jaw. Works so well that I did the same to the vises that the guys use who come to my classes.

Profile WWW  

Post Posted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 2:05 am 
I use a couple I made up based on an old Steve Woods design. Ill hafta post a couple of pics. Handy boogers.

CW

Profile WWW  

Post Posted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 9:01 pm 
Hey Bob, Hey Chuck, good to see you guys here.

Jump to: