[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4601: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3764)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4603: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3764)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4604: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3764)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4605: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3764)
1911Pro.com • View topic - Which FFL?

1911Pro.com

The 1911 Forum For Professional & DIY Gunsmithing
It is currently Tue Sep 25, 2018 12:09 am

Board index » 1911s » Tutorials, "How To's" and FAQ's

Post Posted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 2:45 pm 

Post Posted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 3:20 pm 
Have you noticed development creeping your way? I stayed in Short Pump for a training class in Goochland recently and I was amazed at the change from rural to urban down West Broad...
Wish I had carved out some time to visit again. :-(
Joe

Post Posted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 7:56 pm 

Post Posted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 10:36 pm 
I'm wait listed for several classes at JSR so if I get an announcement on classes I will call to check if you are in town:-)
Joe

Post Posted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 4:05 am 

Post Posted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 4:49 am 
I will have time tomorrow, as we vets are taking a little break, to dig up pertinent reference material.

The three main points we ran into here...

1) having a manufacturers license can drive zoning and licensing people batty. The can only see some big commercial operation regardless of how you explain it.
2) Having an 07 or above REQUIRES ITAR registration, not by BATFE, but by the DOJ/ITAR. slippery slope that can snare you.
3) the constant change lately almost requires constant vigilance to the BATFE website. Cannot hurt.

There is a link I may have posted earlier that defines gunsmithing as changing parts on complete firearm. Touch tool or file to any parts of the firearm, or the firearm, and that constitutes manufacturing.
Then there is local interpretation of the law. I STILL advocate getting clarity from your regional office via e mail or letter, if there is doubt.
While my experience over the years with them has been quite positive on an Agent level, you CANNOT be too careful.
ITAR is inevitable for all 07 and above, better to factor it in now and not later.

I still get quite irked at those that brag about only building guns for family and buddies by getting them to buy all the parts, then doing the work. BLATANT felonies.

As an individual, build only one, and sell it, that's 3 felonies out of the gate.
The price of admission to this trade has gone up and will continue to do so. The days of building guns on the "down low" until you decide if you can do it as business are coming to a close fast.
...given the current Administration, I can envision a time soon, that it will cost ten grand before you can even buy a receiver....
More manana.........

CW

Post Posted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 6:42 pm 
ok, so Im a day or two late.
I'm gonna summarize what we know here, and has been looked over by 3 attorneys of some repute here.

I wanna build custom guns, regardless of where the parts come from...sooo..

Appropriate location per local regulations.
07 License
Itar
Business license.

I would never do a business as an individual again and always recommend some corporate structure as the controlling entity. Its the cost of doing business as stated before.

You can split hairs on the semantics of interpretation, opinions, etc. But it WILL boil down to the above. I'd start with all of the above and not wait until you get caught without. Its always more expensive to catch up, rather than start with all of the proper requirements.

PW,
I had already shared in the other thread, what was the latest info, and thought I had not, so, I misspoke as to more changes since.
That thread seems to be as current as possible.
CW

Post Posted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 10:24 pm 
Thank you Chuck.

Post Posted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 5:04 am 
after lots of paper work and thought I now have my 07 FFL. Business name of company is AWMS Inc. purchased a existing company, other good news is I am eligible for retirement in 18 day's . that don't mean I will retire but I can give notice at any time and just work for myself,

Hank

I am also lucky to live in area that has Zero zoning, only thing required is inspection for occupancy, which county waived because not open to general public/walk ins. of course this all had to be sent to ATF when doing address change for company.

Post Posted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 7:53 am 
Itar I am still reading up on, if I have to pay it I will, but the plan is everything is american made, and cans will be marked " NOT FOR EXPORT"

Jump to: