1911Pro.com

The 1911 Forum For Professional & DIY Gunsmithing
It is currently Tue Sep 25, 2018 3:54 am

Board index » 1911s » Tutorials, "How To's" and FAQ's

Post Posted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 5:35 am 
how do I flat top a slide? what depth can i cut down to? would also like to make lightning cuts as well. Any ideas as to how much I can remove with out affecting the integrity of the slide. i have a milling machine and a good selection of bits. Thanks in advance.

Post Posted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 3:08 am 
I put my slide in a Yavapai slide fixture and indicate everything in. I always have to shim my Yavapai fixture quite a bit. The fixture is square but when you tighten the slide onto the fixture, the slide moves around quite a bit. I usually have to shim opposite corners of the fixture with several business cards to get it true. Then, I just put in a 3/8" 4 flute carbide cutter and make side cuts until I get the width of the flat top that I want. If the slide already has sights cut in, I stop the flat top top in front of the rear sight and behind the front sight. If there are no sight cuts, I flat top the whole length of the slide. I'm not sure on the "lightning" cuts. I suppose it would be possible to do, you will just have to draw it out and figure out the measurements to start and stop the cutter to get the pattern that you want. I don't think that lightning is the way I would start if I hadn't done one or two easier arrow patterns or something similar before tackling something more complicated. I use a 60 degree double angle cutter to cut my serrations. Good luck and post some photos if you get the lightning pattern figured out.

Profile WWW  

Post Posted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 9:11 pm 
that is what i was planning on doing. just waiting for the jig. Any ideas as to how far i can go before worrying about the structure strength? Thanks

Post Posted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 9:14 pm 
This website has helped me alot.

http://www.blindhogg.com/gunsmithing.html
jm

Post Posted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 11:31 pm 
Assuming you have a good mill and setup you often find that slides don't run very true on the top. You end up splitting the difference while indicating it in and taking a test cut. I always creep up on the final dimension because sometimes you have to make adjustments or you end up with a wide flat at one end even if you did your best indicating the thing in. If you're lucky and get a nice straight slide it's no sweat just make sure you measure the lug depth and know how much material you have to work with.

Post Posted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 3:13 pm 
thanks for all of the info. I think after seeing some different pics I know what i will be doing to the slide as far as design.

Jump to: