1911Pro.com

The 1911 Forum For Professional & DIY Gunsmithing
It is currently Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:59 pm

Board index » 1911s » Tutorials, "How To's" and FAQ's

Post Posted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 5:07 pm 
I suppose a few extractors may be short, but by in large, they are either okay, or too long. There are always several ways to accomplish an adjustment like this when needed. I TIG a shim the thickness I want to move the extractor in the firing pin stop groove and file the slot to fit the stop. Jerry Keefer, one of the best BE builders in the biz, used to cut the shaft behind the knob and weld back, but now I believe he silver solders a shim, and machines it. So it can be done whichever way suits your need. To complete the Idea here's a picture of one set up in a vise to TIG. The piece of bent wire is simply holding the shim in place for me.

LOG

Post Posted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 1:31 pm 
This far exceeds my 'finesse' capabilities by far, but interesting nonetheless.

What are you using as shim material Log?

Post Posted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 4:48 pm 
The extractor length has a specified length, but with the combination of firing pin slot to breech face variation , and the within spec. extractor length they seem to be either fine or too long. For the 45 the optimal breech face to inside of hook is .075", up to .085" works well also, but over .090", and the nose is crashing into the case bevel, and filing it back leaves the hook too thin.

For SS extractors I use SS shim stock and, CS for CS extractors.

LOG

Post Posted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 4:44 pm 
deleted

Last edited by Jeff on Fri Nov 02, 2012 1:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post Posted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 9:33 pm 
As much as I'd shake doing that, it would likely come out looking like a piece of modern art or something. Not as an extractor.

Post Posted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 11:17 pm 
I tig built up My first thumb safety the other day successfully and believe I could weld this shim in also and am going to try in the soon future. My main problem I found for Me was being able to see what I was doing through My helmet being so small. I am guessing some kind of magnification under My helmet would benifit Me greatly. Anybody have input on helmet choices and what kind of magnification to use? I've got a nice optivizer and a nice auto darkening helmet but can't wear them both at once?
Larry

Post Posted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 11:55 pm 
juniour wrote:
I tig built up My first thumb safety the other day successfully and believe I could weld this shim in also and am going to try in the soon future. My main problem I found for Me was being able to see what I was doing through My helmet being so small. I am guessing some kind of magnification under My helmet would benifit Me greatly. Anybody have input on helmet choices and what kind of magnification to use? I've got a nice optivizer and a nice auto darkening helmet but can't wear them both at once?
Larry

Go to your nearest welding supply store, and ask about magnifying lens.. They are available in different powers, and will fit inside your helmet. Old age forced me into an auto darkening, plus, it is a must for delicate tig work.. I have been using various magnifiers for at least 15 years.
I have some photos on shorthening extractors, if I can find them..I'll post them. Similar to Log's.
Jerry

Post Posted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 12:15 am 
I second what Jerry said. Aging eyes has made my welding an increasing challenge over the years.
About a year ago I broke down and bought an auto darkening helmet and "cheater lens" Oh my God it makes so much difference in the quality of my welds. For a while I thought it was mostly just losing the touch when it was really losing the eyes!

Log,
How much of the shim and where do you actually weld to the Extractor?

Pics of a finished product?

Post Posted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 1:22 am 
Shim thickness according to how much you want to move. I use an old feeler gauge set and cut the shim from them. The actual weld is right on the corner, very little filler mostly fuse.

I second the magnification, with tig seeing is everything.

LOG

Post Posted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 2:11 am 
Sweet,
Didn't know they made Magnifying Lenses but I should of fiqured so. I'm getting some. I'm fairly good with My Lincoln Square Wave 175 but these parts are small and My eye's are begining to mess with Me too. I did shorten a series 80 extractor a while back silver soldiering the shim but got more scale then I'd like to see. And then it was pulled back enough it would no longer retain the safety plunger. Still have to fiqure that one out.
Thanks for the tips.
Larry

Jump to: