1911Pro.com

The 1911 Forum For Professional & DIY Gunsmithing
It is currently Tue Sep 25, 2018 1:57 am

Board index » 1911s » Tutorials, "How To's" and FAQ's

Post Posted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:33 pm 
A test that I have mentioned in the past regarding pre-travel goes like this. With trigger held back cycle slide just far enough to engage half cock and return to battery. Release trigger, it should reset. This isn't absolutely necessary, but it assures that enough pre-travel is set for good function, beyond any doubt.
or
Manually pull the hammer to half cock and feel the trigger. If it is tight, chances are that the sear hasn't enough room to fully engage. But if you can feel just a slight amount of clearance, and it doesn't pass the above test, it probably is fully engaged and has adequate pre-travel.

Increasing pre-travel can be a challenge, but there are several areas that will normally get what is needed.

First make sure if the trigger has take-up tabs they are bent back, or simply fitting a trigger that's bow is shorter.

Perfecting the disconnector. Stoning the front that contacts the bow. Then stoning the ears to thin and equalize. I like no measurable difference between them. The spec. is .035"-.005". So, go to .030"

The front of the sear legs can also be stoned equally to increase pre-travel.

Post Posted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 4:31 am 
I've been reading Log's postings for a long time and realized I'd never checked any of my unmodded factory guns. I've always followed the checks anytime I've swapped a trigger or done other work, but never thought to check my other 1911s.

Must have been bored as I decided to pull everything out of the safe and do a quick check. I held the trigger to the rear and cycled the slide enough to put the hammer at half-cock and checked for trigger reset. Of the guns where I've swapped parts (R1, EMP, Remsport build), all showed proper reset.

To my disbelief, 3 of my untouched guns don't reset under this condition and have very tight triggers at the half cock notch. My EB Kobra Carry, DW Heritage, and DW CCO all fail the test. My DW Valor and LB TRS both pass.

Log recommended flattening and polishing the back of the bow, stoning to flatten the front of the disconnector where it contacts the bow and thinning the disconnector ears equally to .030". Last resort is to thin the front of the sear legs. On my EB KC, I had to thin the sear legs to get enough pretravel.

Haven't tackled my other 2 yet, but will soon due to the potential safety issues.

Post Posted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 5:54 am 
Well, I tried polishing the back of the trigger bow, stoning the front of the disco, and still couldn't get enough pre-travel on the Heritage and CCO. Had to take a few swipes at the sear legs to get it right.

All of my guns are now exhibiting proper pre-travel. On to the next obsession.

Post Posted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 4:15 am 
Stoned my disconnector to .030 and I do feel some movement on the trigger now. trigger wont reset in the first scenario but as I understand the tutorial I now have a minimum acceptable pre-travel. I have started my collection of posts from this forum.

thanks for your help.

Post Posted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 4:36 am 
correct me if I'm wrong please.

pretravel is required to ensure that there is enough clearance to allow the trigger bow to move far enough forward when we release the trigger so that the disconnector will fall forward and up into the ready position between the bow and the sear. honing my disconnector reduced the required clearance and may even help in some small way with the clearance at the magwell.

I saw many references to pretravel on the net before I found this site. and everyone seemed to be obsessed with getting rid of any slack or pretravel. personally I kinda like it on my pistol. It aint a lot but just enough to give me an indication of were the trigger is at on my pull stroke. it may not be the best practice nor conducive to bullseye shooting but thats were I am at today with my trigger pull. i shot another 100 rds sunday and I had a 6 to 8 inch pattern at about 25 yards. I wasn't necessarily trying for bulleye, just some consistancy. 100% reliable with FMJ and inexpensive magazines i got off ebay.

enjoy the day

Jump to: