[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4601: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3764)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4603: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3764)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4604: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3764)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4605: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3764)
1911Pro.com • View topic - Buried dovetail rear sight

1911Pro.com

The 1911 Forum For Professional & DIY Gunsmithing
It is currently Sun Sep 23, 2018 12:23 am

Board index » 1911s » Tutorials, "How To's" and FAQ's

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 45 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post Posted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 5:39 am 

Post Posted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 3:22 pm 
Sleepy, I suggest a little less snark. :roll:
BTW there are things about Joe's guns that I don't particularly like that show up more than buried screws. But I keep those thoughts to myself.
Joe.

Post Posted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 6:14 am 

Post Posted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 8:21 am 
Mr. Keefer,

I apologize as my eyes did not see your name mentioned when first reading this. But I did not say that others hadn't done this before, as they surely have. However, the only one I've seen doing it recently has been Chambers who, from what was told me, learned it from Marvel, who was also doing it back then. Alas, I probably shouldn't have mentioned it at all and perhaps that is why Joe just laughed when it was brought up. Like mentioned before, nothing new under the sun...sorry for the bother and kudos to Mr. Derr for doing something cool.

Post Posted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 7:50 am 
Excellent work! I love it, and my opinion matters here more than it does most of the time because that fine piece of craftsmanship is coming home with me, and I am looking forward to it plenty.

As for Sleepy, I love seein' a troll get BANNED, call me ol' fashioned... heh heh the internet is older than I am...

Post Posted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 3:36 pm 
Greg,

That's a fine piece of work.

Too bad Sleepy got called away. We sure could count on him keeping us straight. :shock:

Jerry,

You don't swing often, but you sure do swing hard! :lol:

Profile WWW  

Post Posted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 4:55 pm 

Post Posted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 7:02 pm 
I don't claim to be an expert on fasteners, so take what I have to add on this subject with a grain of salt. I worked for an aircraft fastener manufacturer back in the 80's and 90's for 8 - 9 years, who made all types of fasterners for the military and aircraft industry. The tapered design of the phillips head and tri-wing recess are inherently stronger on a countersunk fastener since it leaves more material in the head which makes it less likely to snap off than either the hex or torx recess. Again, this is dependent greatly on the quality checks in place at the manufacturing facility. If their recess punches aren't sized and checked accordingly they can be just as week as the hex and torx recesses. A big plus to the phillips head is that the majority of people have a phillips head screw driver readily available, while they may not have a torx or hex key handy, or may not have the correct size needed.

Profile WWW  

Post Posted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 8:04 pm 
Mr. Keefer, Mr. Greufe,

I, having not made it to the thread in time, did not even see the detractors obviously uninformed comments, but truly appreciate the votes of confidence you all have offered. To add my $.02, I have never had much confidence in hex fasteners, less in the torx desgin simply due to availability of torxdrivers(?), and personally have always had an inclination toward phillips head fasteners, however hex fasteners do look good.... but what do I know?

Post Posted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 8:06 pm 

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 45 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Jump to: