1911Pro.com

The 1911 Forum For Professional & DIY Gunsmithing
It is currently Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:28 pm

Board index » 1911s » Tutorials, "How To's" and FAQ's

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 45 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post Posted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 5:39 am 
pistolwrench wrote:
I recall doing a similar install way back in the spring of 1986.
Yup, last century........ the previous millenia.

:D

LOL! Thanks for the good natured comment sir. Just goes to show there is nothing new under the sun eh. What sight did you use back then because I know the KFS was not out then. Was it by chance the old bomar or perhaps the Wichita?

Post Posted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 3:22 pm 
Sleepy, I suggest a little less snark. :roll:
BTW there are things about Joe's guns that I don't particularly like that show up more than buried screws. But I keep those thoughts to myself.
Joe.

Post Posted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 6:14 am 
Sleepy wrote:
Greg Derr wrote:
Funny thing about the internet, they have this feature called IP Address/CIDR Subnet tracking which allows hosts( like Dave B.) to ID trolls back to their real owners. Hell of a feature.

Trolls, who's trolling Mr. Derr? I'm just pointing out the obvious that you copied someone elses rather unique installation method, ...not copying others unique features. But perhaps you think that because Chambers is no longer here to defend himself you can get away with whatever...
Bottom line is Mr. Derr, you attempted to copy someone elses work without making mention of them for whatever reason. He has been told about it and has seen the pics for himself now and just thought it funny that all of this is going on here.
So good day to you sir.

Sleepy, your moniker seems to suit your intellect..as you don't read well, and have a poor recall of 1911 history. Greg mentioned, in the original post, that he discussed the installation with me.. I sir, as did many other smiths, make these type installations in the mid 1980s.. With absolutely no disrepect to Joe Chambers, I don't believe he was in the business back then...Since you question the mission of this forum, perhaps you'd be happier on 1911 Addicts, where there is a distinct lack of expertise..
Most of us, use our real name.
Jerry Keefer

Post Posted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 8:21 am 
Mr. Keefer,

I apologize as my eyes did not see your name mentioned when first reading this. But I did not say that others hadn't done this before, as they surely have. However, the only one I've seen doing it recently has been Chambers who, from what was told me, learned it from Marvel, who was also doing it back then. Alas, I probably shouldn't have mentioned it at all and perhaps that is why Joe just laughed when it was brought up. Like mentioned before, nothing new under the sun...sorry for the bother and kudos to Mr. Derr for doing something cool.

Post Posted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 7:50 am 
Excellent work! I love it, and my opinion matters here more than it does most of the time because that fine piece of craftsmanship is coming home with me, and I am looking forward to it plenty.

As for Sleepy, I love seein' a troll get BANNED, call me ol' fashioned... heh heh the internet is older than I am...

Post Posted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 3:36 pm 
Greg,

That's a fine piece of work.

Too bad Sleepy got called away. We sure could count on him keeping us straight. :shock:

Jerry,

You don't swing often, but you sure do swing hard! :lol:

Profile WWW  

Post Posted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 4:55 pm 
Theory.vs.Practice wrote:
Excellent work! I love it, and my opinion matters here more than it does most of the time because that fine piece of craftsmanship is coming home with me, and I am looking forward to it plenty.

Ted;
FYI and others..so you don't feel slighted by the "phillips head" comments.
I don't remember the exact date(s) but it was at least very late 1980's/early 90's, that Aristocrat Sights, brought out their sunken/hidden recoil lug Tri Set sight system. The lug was .250R X.703/.708 X.055 deep. A sturdy/durable sight. Countless numbers of these were installed on 1911 pistols for PPC, and consumed a great deal of my time then, as they were the "rage", and justifiably so..
The small flat head phillips were #4X40 and the job of this small screw was to merely hold the sight "down". The recoil lug absorbed all the shock. The newest addition to this design is the new Aimpoint Micro red dot.. Exact same principle.
An allen head that size would present torque issues, if not tightening, it would be impossible to remove. Torx were not common then, although they are somewhat now..and preferred above all. My first contact with Torx was early to mid 1970s in the steel/fastener industry. Door jamb striker bolts, used to secure car/vehicle doors converted from the problematic hex to torx. We manufactured millions upon millions of these Torx head bolts. The phillips provided by Aristocrat never presented any problems. It's hidden, and only seen during maintenance cycles. As you see in the pics, the Aristocrat phillips under portion of the head is contoured to extract the max amount of contact, since this mounting system was very close to the firing pin bore. Such measure would not be necessary in a Bo Mar style adaption.
Enjoy your pistol...
Jerry

Post Posted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 7:02 pm 
I don't claim to be an expert on fasteners, so take what I have to add on this subject with a grain of salt. I worked for an aircraft fastener manufacturer back in the 80's and 90's for 8 - 9 years, who made all types of fasterners for the military and aircraft industry. The tapered design of the phillips head and tri-wing recess are inherently stronger on a countersunk fastener since it leaves more material in the head which makes it less likely to snap off than either the hex or torx recess. Again, this is dependent greatly on the quality checks in place at the manufacturing facility. If their recess punches aren't sized and checked accordingly they can be just as week as the hex and torx recesses. A big plus to the phillips head is that the majority of people have a phillips head screw driver readily available, while they may not have a torx or hex key handy, or may not have the correct size needed.

Profile WWW  

Post Posted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 8:04 pm 
Mr. Keefer, Mr. Greufe,

I, having not made it to the thread in time, did not even see the detractors obviously uninformed comments, but truly appreciate the votes of confidence you all have offered. To add my $.02, I have never had much confidence in hex fasteners, less in the torx desgin simply due to availability of torxdrivers(?), and personally have always had an inclination toward phillips head fasteners, however hex fasteners do look good.... but what do I know?

Post Posted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 8:06 pm 
Bob Rodgers wrote:
Greg,

That's a fine piece of work.

Too bad Sleepy got called away. We sure could count on him keeping us straight. :shock:

Jerry,

You don't swing often, but you sure do swing hard! :lol:

+1 :lol:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 45 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Jump to: