1911Pro.com

The 1911 Forum For Professional & DIY Gunsmithing
It is currently Thu Sep 21, 2017 1:05 pm

Board index » 1911s » Tutorials, "How To's" and FAQ's

Post Posted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 7:50 pm 
What do you pros do to protect the tooling from rust/corrosion? I've had some tools and gages that were well oiled that still rusted while in storage in plastic storage boxes. Can't afford to let that happen again. Would Brownell's Hold be better than oil? Used in conjunction with oil? Desiccant?

Post Posted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 11:27 pm 
I live in east Texas where the humidity averages 60%+ year round, probably like Fl. I added a dehumidifier to my shop. I have found that past wax is about the best for sealing up surfaces. I find that bags seam to trap moisture unless you put a desiccant pack in with it. They they don't last very long. I've used Amsoil MP (Metal Protector) in the past. Works good at keeping moister from the steel. I sprayed some loading dies down that I put in storage. 20 yrs later when I go them out there was no rust. Had to soak the dies in a solvent to remove the dried up MP though . I've also use wheel bearing grease for things setting out side. It protect the steel but tracks dirt.

Post Posted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 12:13 am 
I have had very good luck using RIG to protect ferrous metal. Have you ever tried it BBBBill? My cousin turned me on to it back in the 60's and I can honestly say that nothing I have used it on has rusted. I use a RIG Rag, a sheepskin with wool cut short. I treat it when I remember to or if the object I apply it to looks a little dry. I just put a sheen on the object and don't wipe it down until I need to use it.
Joe
https://www.birchwoodcasey.com/Cleaning ... e/RIG.aspx

Post Posted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 3:54 am 
BBBBill wrote:
What do you pros do to protect the tooling from rust/corrosion? I've had some tools and gages that were well oiled that still rusted while in storage in plastic storage boxes. Can't afford to let that happen again. Would Brownell's Hold be better than oil? Used in conjunction with oil? Desiccant?

Can't speak as a pro but, I have been using Renaissance Wax for years. It was developed for museum displays and works on a wide array of materials but for steel there is nothing else like it. Once it has been applied and dries(very quickly) bare steel won't degrade from fingerprints or humidity. I have a knife and razor collection which hasn't had an application in four years or more not a spot. A very little goes a long way and once applied it is tempting to think there is nothing there.

Post Posted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 5:34 pm 
Been using Boeshield for years with great results. Developed by Boeing for aircraft and after every use, I clean my reamer or metal tools, then spray it with this prior to putting it back into its container. Works great.

https://www.amazon.com/Boeshield-T-9-Wa ... eshield+t9

Jump to: