1911Pro.com

The 1911 Forum For Professional & DIY Gunsmithing
It is currently Thu Sep 21, 2017 1:13 pm

Board index » Other Firearms & Information » Funny Things Seen Online & Other Humor

Post Posted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 5:08 pm 
I noticed the other forum, has 260,000 hits on the subject of "Idiot Scratch."
Amazing .. Good job Log...

Last edited by Jerry Keefer on Thu Jan 19, 2017 7:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post Posted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 6:39 pm 
Jerry Keefer wrote:
I noticed the other forum, has 260,000 hits on the subject of "Idiot Scratch."
Amazing what fascinates people..

Shows that it is something of a concern to a great many people, as it was to me, when I first solved easy slide stop insertion for myself, without losing any of the lug foot print. When I first did this, after trying to increase the lug bevel, which worked for insertion, but caused the follower to jump. Welded it back, and with my hood still down mentally saw this notch as a potential fix. When doing it I also thought 'I bet someone else has done this before, perhaps in 1911', but had never seen or heard of it, as I was a newbie. It has become something a few manufactures now do as well.

We who care about keeping our guns in both good working condition, as well as nice looking condition find it of value. Just as you pride yourself in a clean shop. Sharing these things benefit everyone that it isn't foolish. The high number of views is a testimony, to the fact, gun owners do care.

LOG

Post Posted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 7:02 pm 
Hello Log.. I wasn't being critical of the fix, just the number of hits it has compared to other topics..
Hope you are well..

Post Posted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 7:17 pm 
Jerry Keefer wrote:
Hello Log.. I wasn't being critical of the fix, just the number of hits it has compared to other topics..
Hope you are well..

No didn't take it as critical, but it was one of the first modifications I did, as I had seen the Idiot Scratch on used guns in a shop, and not wanting one, and after having trouble inserting a particular slide stop, thought there must be a better way. :D

Thanks Jerry, I am doing great. Hope thinks are working for you as well, aging is a hard experience to prepare for, I know.

LOG

Post Posted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 7:23 pm 
That modification to the slide stop, is right up there with Chuck's TR sear.. Right in front of everyone's nose for 100 years before it is discovered..

Post Posted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 9:46 pm 
Browning put the cam surface to depress the plunger on the slide stop. He didn't see the deviation in parts spec's we have to live with. There may also be a reduction in recent shooter mechanical aptitude and dexterity at play here too. The clarity of log mans posts and his illustrations are truly welcome. The modification works.
Joe

Jump to: