[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4601: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3764)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4603: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3764)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4604: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3764)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4605: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3764)
1911Pro.com • View topic - Training/practice routines

1911Pro.com

The 1911 Forum For Professional & DIY Gunsmithing
It is currently Mon Sep 24, 2018 5:04 am

Board index » Training, Competition & Ammo » Competition & Training

Post Posted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 4:52 pm 
What are some of your training/practice routines? What round count and distances? I have a stack of drills I've collected over the years. For training/practice, I just randomly pull out one and use it that range day. I got them from different web sites, books, magazine articles, and other shooters. As for round count and distance, I usually fire 100-200 per session to keep it fun and not too tiring. Distances usually rarely exceed 25yds, with the occasional longer(to simulate the farthest hallway in our local school in event of an active shooter) distance. Most is done from the 15 yd line and in with emphasis on accuracy and movement.
Thanks for your input!

Post Posted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 3:54 am 
I'm not the most serious competitor you'll shoot with. I do much the same as you, with emphasis on what weaknesses I noticed in my last match.

The last drill I shot was "The Humbler", which is a 70 round drill all done at 25 yards. I don't do enough distance shooting, in fact 35 yards is about as long as most of my typical practical shooting bays at the range.

Here's how it breaks down:
1) 10 rounds freestyle from the ready - 10 mins

2) 5 rounds freestyle from the holster - 20 secs

3) 5 rounds freestyle from the holster - 20 secs

4) 5 rounds freestyle from the holster - 10 secs

5) 5 rounds freestyle from the holster - 10 secs

6) 5 rounds Strong Hand Only from the ready - 5 mins

7) 5 rounds Strong Hand Only from holster - 20 secs

8) 5 rounds Strong Hand Only from holster - 10 secs

9) 5 rounds Weak Hand Only from the ready - 5 mins

10) 5 rounds kneeling - 5 mins

11) 5 rounds kneeling - 20 secs (start standing, in the holster)

12) 5 rounds prone - 5 mins

13) 5 rounds prone - 20 sec (start standing, in the holster)

Other drills I do are fairly typical: Bill drill, El Pres, etc. I'll vary them by performing them strong hand, then weak hand, and sometimes mix in a reload between targets.

Profile WWW  

Post Posted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 4:15 am 
If you want to get faster, practice transitions between targets and shooting on the move. To do this I usually set up stages and run them two or three times then set up another stage. If you do this, I recommend planning out your stages before you get to the range. It is difficult, for me at least, to come up with any decent kind of stage on the spot. If I have drawn it out beforehand, I simply have to tweak it to make it practical.

Post Posted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 9:56 pm 
I get different drill from Todd Lewis Green's web sight, http://pistol-training.com/ and now on his forum he started a weekly drill where you can post results and pictures, good stuff check it out if you get time. http://pistol-forum.com/

Post Posted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 2:39 am 
The Fast drill is a good drill.
Jeremy is right. You have to have an idea what you want to do so get the most from a practice session.
Like Jeremy, I use a combination of large and small along with a timer. This give you a change to go fast, then slow down and get your hits. I rarely practice closer that 10 yards.
When I do run up close,(3 to 5) I work on <1 sec par time for draw and get a C zone hit (or 1 down ). I run Bill drills for mechanical finger exercise so I know where my limits are.

I always finish with slow fire groups. Single bullet holes. I will mixt the order up here because some days, the gun is too hot to properly grip.

Post Posted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 5:09 am 
I really like the "Dot Torture" drill. I shoot it almost every time I practice. When you have it down at three yards just move the target back and go after it again. I also do a lot of transition and movement drills.

If you have a training partner I like to set up 7 or 8 IPSC targets and mark each of them with a different number or shape (circle, square, triangle). I use a sharpie and put the markings in the head box. I stagger the targets from 10 to 25 yds.

Have your training partner call out a random combination of three of the numbers and symbols and then hit the start button on the timer. You then draw and engage the targets that your partner just called out in the order that they were called out. You can also switch it up and call out one, two, or three shots per target. I also like to have my partner call out the first three before the beep and then two or three more targets after the beep. You really have to focus when doing this. Not knowing the order you are going to engage the targets in until just before you draw is good practice. You have to identify the targets and then engage them in the correct order.

Post Posted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 5:41 am 
Here's another one for you guys. Set up an array of targets. Really it can be anything. For instance tonight I was just using three targets set about 5 yds apart. Then shoot the array at 5, 10, 15, 20, and 25 yards. Its interesting the different challenges the different distances create. Then if you really want a challenge, only shoot one string from each position, and you have to call all of your misses with out looking at the target (remember you're supposed to be watching the front sight anyway). Once you have shot all the positions go look at the targets and see if the number of misses is equal to what you call. And by miss, I mean anything not an A.

Post Posted: Sat Nov 14, 2015 9:16 am 
I practice target shooting every day in the evening (after 6pm) right before dinner for 30 minutes. As the light is dim and it is pretty hard to see the target clearly - I take it as a challenge. :)

Jump to: