[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4601: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3764)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4603: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3764)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4604: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3764)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4605: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3764)
1911Pro.com • View topic - Muzzle flip

1911Pro.com

The 1911 Forum For Professional & DIY Gunsmithing
It is currently Sat Sep 22, 2018 11:24 pm

Board index » Training, Competition & Ammo » Competition & Training

Post Posted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 6:48 am 
It seems to me the smaller, lighter guns aren't that much harder to shoot. I was thinking that due to less weight, they have less inertia, so they flip more...but they are also easier to get back on target, since they weigh less...or am I imagining it?

Post Posted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 5:03 pm 
They do tend to flip more, but the draw and transitions seem faster.

Profile WWW  

Post Posted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 2:19 am 
I have been debating muzzle flip in competition for the last 2 years. I look at what guns consistently wins matches and it is the heavier guns like the 1911's and 2011's government models. So I broke down and built a 2011 last year and bought and STI Eagle. I was getting tired of getting beat out with production guns because the 2011's can hold more ammo and shoot faster because they can get on target faster. Especially with managing recoil with heavier weight bullets and less powder and still meet power factor. This has been my experience. So this is the year that I am learning how to shoot the 2011 in competition. We will see how it goes and will let you know after the season if it helped me any.

Post Posted: Wed May 23, 2012 9:10 pm 

Post Posted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 12:54 am 
If you look at muzzle flip as a open triangle with the muzzle being the A bottom line and starting out flat with the amount of muzzle rise forming the other leg B, it looks like the further down B the further from A it will be. In other words all other things being equal for X amount of muzzle rise the shorter sight radius will show less muzzle rise.

Of course there are many other factors to consider but it is worth giving some thought to.

My experience in competition shooting causes me to believe muzzle rise is more dependent on the skill of the shooter than anything else since the pistols and loads have to meet a certain standard.

Post Posted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 6:30 am 
I'm not a competition shooter by any means, but the time spent on finding the right hammer/recoil spring combo becomes more important the shorter and lighter the gun is. The FPS angle and hammer contact area with the FPS are even more important. IMHO. As asm mentioned, the load/ammo should be the same as you're tuning.

Jump to: