[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4601: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3764)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4603: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3764)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4604: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3764)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4605: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3764)
1911Pro.com • View topic - 38 Special Wadcutter loads, a few questions.

1911Pro.com

The 1911 Forum For Professional & DIY Gunsmithing
It is currently Wed Jul 18, 2018 4:13 am

Board index » Training, Competition & Ammo » Ammo & Reloading

Post Posted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 9:03 am 
I'm currently shooting 148grs DEWC over 2.4grs of Clays, giving me 750 to 770 fps out of my M10 with a 5" barrel(assumed to be a 1:14" twist Douglas).

The questions are:

I know some of you guys have been involved in building guns for sports that are shot similar loads; what has been considered optimal velocities to stabilize the different wadcutter styles? Does the hollow base bullets require more velocity, as they are longer?

Crimp: My concern is that a too tight roll crimp will shave or otherwise distort the bullet when it exits the case, will there be a benefit in changing to a taper crimp?

Any hints on brass, are there any makes out there that I should avoid, or any that is proven to be better that others?

Post Posted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 1:01 pm 
When I shot PPC we found that the DEWC was quite less accurate at 50 yds, so we used HBWC's. I prefered 2.8gr/Bullseye, while friends went with 3.0gr/231 or 2.3 - 2.5gr/Clays.

The 1:14" twist will like the longer HBWC and no change in powder charge.

The roll crimp was just enough to roll over the top of the bullet. Find a factory Winchester or Federal round and use that for your guide.

We sorted by headstamp. My preference was Federal but Winchester and Remington was good too.

It looks like you have an accurate combination in the M10.

Hope this helps.

Good luck.

Site Admin

Post Posted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 5:33 pm 
My experience was similar to Timberwolf's. I shot 3.1 gr of 231 with a HBWC but I also shot a lot of DEWC for practice out to 25 yards because they were cheaper and easier to find at that time. This is one of those cases where you've got to experiment with your loads and revolver to find that right balance of crimp. IIRC, my revolver's sweet spot was in the 3.1 to 3.3 gr area. I loaded up a bunch of each 3.1, 3.2 and 3.3 grains of 231 and shot them off sand bags at 25 and 50 yards to find the most accurate load for my gun.

Don't forget to bring a range rod and hammer to your practice sessions in case a bullet moves forward out of the case due to recoil and a light crimp.

Profile WWW  

Post Posted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 6:43 pm 
I have always had very good success with Star Match/ dry lubed 148 HBWC with Federal primed and 2.5 t o 2.7 grains of WST (indoor/Outdoor). Im starting to hand cast and going to try the Powder coated butlers once my molds get here. Maybe my next time out..this should be fun...

Post Posted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 1:58 am 
Wacky thought: Has anyone experimented with the effects of bullet orientation in DEWC? I'm talking about having the pour end forward versus the reverse. I know some old Schuetzen rifle competitors were hot on nose-pour bullet molds.

Profile WWW  

Post Posted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 2:47 am 
I know case selection is important as it can deform the Hollow basses when pressed into the case and can effect the accuracy

-Robert

Post Posted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 8:55 am 
Thanks guys. I have not tested the load at 50 meters, but will do when the weather warms up.

I have seen how some cases expand too much to be inserted in the chamber when loaded with the 358" DEWC, these cases must surely deform the HBWC, but then again, will not the Hollow Base expand and fill the bore? I have loaded for and shot an antique S&W top break DA in 38 S&W, and the 358 HBWC is the bulllet that has given the best accuracy in this gun even though it is undersize for the bore.

About DEWC orientation, I have not experimented with it, but just to be sure, I have always loaded them with the sprue/fill mark forward to ensure that the end that leaves the crown is as even as possible.

edit: spelling

Last edited by evert on Tue Feb 10, 2015 1:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post Posted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 12:47 pm 
I always used DEWC in mine for the Bianchi Cup match back in the day..I made sure the sprue was forward. My load was similar to Dave B with 3.1 to 3.3 grains of WW231. It was incredibly accurate. Accurate enough to take 2nd place in the practical event once, out x-ing Robbie Leatham at 50 yds.

Profile WWW  

Post Posted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 1:22 pm 
I see many of you guys are using WW231, which is a slower powder than those I have mainly used under 148grs WC's.

Any reason for this? I have fallen in love With Clays lately because of the increased volume of the powder compared to VV N-310 that has been used in my previous loads. I used N-320 for a while, but have started preferring the faster burn rates for less unburnt powder.
Remember that my guns are shot wintertime here in Norway, sometimes in artificial light at night on the clubs outdoor range, where temperatures might Reach below minus 20 degrees celcius. Summer temperatures can reach up to the high 30's, so temperature variation Plays a big factor in choosing a load that burns clean under all conditions.

Site Admin

Post Posted: Thu Feb 12, 2015 6:37 pm 

Profile WWW  

Jump to: