1911Pro.com

The 1911 Forum For Professional & DIY Gunsmithing
It is currently Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:05 am

Board index » Training, Competition & Ammo » Ammo & Reloading

Post Posted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 5:49 am 
I want to load different types of .45 ACP dummy rounds to assure feeding and chambering. Over the years, I've run across too many 1911 manufactures whose guns work great with 230 grain full metal jacketed rounds but fail with wadcutters, etc. Here's the types of dummy ammo I will load:

1) Wide mouth hollow points,
2) wadcutters,
3) semi wadcutters,
4) full metal jacketed
5) klays - A friend gave me a box of these to try. They look like wadcutters but have a larger coned bullet. Has anyone ever come across these before? I googled it but found nothing! They look like the could drop a Rhino!

Any other ammo types I should be testing? Does anyone else do this?

Thanks!

Post Posted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 12:46 am 
I have seen old Winchester Silvertip hunting ammo with bullets that looked a lot like that, although in a different caliber.

___

XRumer 12.0.16 + SocPlugin: the BEST program for Facebook / VK / Forums / Blogs promotion!

Profile ICQ  

Post Posted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 3:15 am 
I make test rounds of each new bullet type I intend to use. Generally just one, so I can test functioning. I do not use these dummies for anything else, and will never use them for demonstration purposes because they look exactly like live ammo. When I no longer need the dummy rounds, I pull them back down and salvage any reusable components. If I'm going to use a dummy round for a demonstration of any sort, I buy commercially manufactured one, like the ones available from companies like A-Zoom, etc. They are bright red, and cannot be confused with live ammo, or vice-versa.

Sorry. Never heard of a "klays" bullet.

Post Posted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 8:29 am 
The .45acp loads that has given me most feeding problems are the short and blunt bullets like the Berrys 200 RNFP, and 160grs short nose semi wadcutters.

Post Posted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 9:32 am 
How many times can these dummy rounds slam into the ramp and not deform the nose, and how would you load them so they won't (set back)?

Post Posted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 10:17 pm 
D.I.Y.Guy wrote:
....how would you load them so they won't (set back)?

You'll need combination of sizer, expander, case and bullets that gives good bullet hold. Over-crimping can make the bullet loose.

Post Posted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 5:19 am 
FTF with short loaded ammo like that could be a magazine issue too. 1911 mags have a tough job, they have to synchronize with the feeding cycle, but using shorty bullets can make the last part of the feed cycle difficult because the shorter bullet nose is actually late entering the chamber compared to the timing of the position of the slide. And the feed angle is changed as well. Brownells sells the yoke and anvil for reshaping 1911 mags for wadcutters.

http://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-tools ... od911.aspx

Post Posted: Sat Feb 27, 2016 12:58 am 
My original post is a bit dated. I found a guy that makes dummy bullets for a living... http://www.dummybullet.com. I'm really happy with them and they facilitates test firing. I didn't realize there were so many variations of .45 ammo. I think I got 8 different types of .45 bullets! I know if my 1911s can cycle this eclectic bunch, it will shoot anything!

Post Posted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 4:43 pm 
D.I.Y.Guy wrote:
How many times can these dummy rounds slam into the ramp and not deform the nose, and how would you load them so they won't (set back)?

Some military "Drill" and "Tool" cartridge variants placed a dowel or rod inside the case to brace the projectile against set back.

Profile WWW  

Jump to: