1911Pro.com

The 1911 Forum For Professional & DIY Gunsmithing
It is currently Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:48 am

Board index » Training, Competition & Ammo » Ammo & Reloading

Post Posted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 1:16 pm 
What makes a round low powered, the charge or the bullet weight? Or a combination of both?

I reload 230gr plated roundnose, but stay on the low side of the Bullseye powder recommenation chart, 4.3 maybe?. It this a low power round? I don't recall my fps at the moment, but I'm pretty sure it's a little under 850fps.

Is there a velocity where anything above is full power and anything below is considered low power or reduced recoil?

Post Posted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 2:11 pm 
PAcanis wrote:
What makes a round low powered, the charge or the bullet weight? Or a combination of both?

in general, the powder charge weight and how fast or slow it pushes any particular bullet

Quote:
I reload 230gr plated roundnose, but stay on the low side of the Bullseye powder recommenation chart, 4.3 maybe?. It this a low power round? I don't recall my fps at the moment, but I'm pretty sure it's a little under 850fps.

You didn't mention what your OAL is...so I'll ASSume you're loading in the range of 1.260 OAL...if so, I'd expect you're well under 850fps ...likely not even pushing 800fps
If your 4.3 load cycles the slide on all your pistols, it'll be a nice mild (low power) plinking load

Quote:
Is there a velocity where anything above is full power and anything below is considered low power or reduced recoil?

yea, sorta kinda ...for 230gr FMJ 820-850fps is considered full power (that's what nearly all domestic factory FMJ ammo runs at)
anything below 800fps I consider mild (lower power)

..L.T.A.

Profile WWW  

Post Posted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 2:21 pm 
Thanks a LOT, Cap. That's exactly the kind of information I was looking for.
And now that you mention OAL, maybe I was closer to 800fps. I checked and my OAL is 1.262 with 4.3 gr of powder.

Appreciate it.

Jump to: