[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4601: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3764)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4603: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3764)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4604: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3764)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4605: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3764)
1911Pro.com • View topic - Looking to make up some loads for action sports

1911Pro.com

The 1911 Forum For Professional & DIY Gunsmithing
It is currently Sat Oct 20, 2018 5:04 am

Board index » Training, Competition & Ammo » Ammo & Reloading

Post Posted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 3:03 am 
Do custom 1911 smith's shoot a whole lot or are they stuck in the shop all day like us working folk?

I am looking for load data for range and competition use.

I have a Wilson and I know what Bill recommends. I use clay's powder almost exclusively because of cost. Does VV make that much of a difference?

Post Posted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 12:56 pm 
An old IPSC load I use; 4.5 gr of Bullseye with a 230gr bullet.

Post Posted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 12:06 am 

Post Posted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 1:25 am 
Here's mine:
200gr. LSWC H&G #68 on top of 5.9gr. of WW231.

Post Posted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 3:22 am 
Where are some good places to get the H&G 68's? Ive been hearing a lot about them, but dont know where the best place to get them from is.

Post Posted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 6:31 pm 
3.8-4.0 grains of Hodgdon Clays behind a 200 RNFP bullet. Cost is about $90 per thousand to make and I buy the bullets.

Post Posted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 9:07 pm 
Clays is my "go to" .45 ACP powder. Partly because its very economical to load and partly because I have quite a bit on hand from when I used shoot skeet and loaded 12 ga regularly. My standard laod is 4.3g Clays under a 200g LSWC. (currently buying from Missouri Bullet Co.) I'm not a bullseye shooter, so I've never really tested to see just how accurat this load is. However, I can say that its capable of better accuracy than I am and packs enough punch to knock down steel plates with authority .Recoil is also somewhat reduced from 230g ball. (not that ball is harsh or a problem to handle)
It does all I ask it to and saves me 2/3 to 3/4 the price of factory ammo.

On a side note, I did some experimenting with 230g LRN and Clays. I found I 4.0g Clays and a 230g LRN to be an extremely soft shooting load. Mild recoil and virtually no muzzle flip. First time I pulled the trigger on this load I actually thought the gun didn't cycle. Very pleasant to shoot, but I don't regularly load them because they differ far to much from ball/SD loads to be useful for regualar training. Its a good load for introducing new/ timid shooters to the .45ACP and 1911.

Post Posted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 2:19 pm 
WST is my prefered powder for .45. Clean and accurate in all my guns.

Dave

Never say "What else could go wrong?"
Because it usually will.

Post Posted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 3:56 pm 

Post Posted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 9:24 pm 

Profile WWW  

Jump to: