[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4601: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3764)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4603: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3764)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4604: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3764)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4605: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3764)
1911Pro.com • View topic - 45 ACP Ammo

1911Pro.com

The 1911 Forum For Professional & DIY Gunsmithing
It is currently Wed Jul 18, 2018 1:38 pm

Board index » Training, Competition & Ammo » Ammo & Reloading

Post Posted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 11:31 pm 
I have a question about how old is to old for ammo if stored properly in sealed ammo cans? What are the risks?

Post Posted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 1:30 am 
I've shot WW II stuff before without any problems. But it was clean and always stored properly.

Post Posted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 1:37 pm 
I've shot WW1 .303 but you had better clean up extremely well afterwards with the corrosive primers. As long as ammo is properly stored and not corroded it should be GTG.

Post Posted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 2:21 pm 
In general you should be fine if properly stored as you described. Risk, I could see it not going boom more than anything.

Post Posted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 6:44 pm 
One risk is $hooting ammo that has a collector value. I am one box shy of a full brick of .22 ammo that is worth 25 bucks a box. Ooops! Duh! Still kicking myself.......

Post Posted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 11:06 pm 
From what I've read and been told it's more about the conditions the powder is kept in. Temps and temp swings are the biggest factor to long term storage.

Post Posted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 5:40 pm 
Hello,

I am not a real believer in shooting older ammunition. Quality guns deserve quality cartridges. But if you must; research whether they are loaded with corrosive primers....that is a good way to ruin your gun.

When I was chasing my Distinguished Pistol badge; I had to shoot the ammunition (not corrosive primed) that was provided for us. It was of marginal condition and unknown history....my gun survived the experience.

Jim

Jump to: