1911Pro.com

The 1911 Forum For Professional & DIY Gunsmithing
It is currently Thu Feb 22, 2018 3:21 pm

Board index » Other Firearms & Information » Rifles

Post Posted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 1:44 pm 
Its not at all uncommon for me to get a call from a local shop with a problem that requires more than the local armorers can fix. Usually, its a problem that requires more metalworking skills and tools than most have around here.
In this particular case, a SS muzzle brake was ordered for a brand new SS Remington. The problem was that the brake was threaded on partially and wouldn't budge, on or off.

Uh oh. The marks on the brake are very telling.

After finding the appropriate box end to fit the brake. A little test try was in order to see if she would budge. No go.

Next step was to apply some heat to get the brake to expand and then try and remove it....

This, too, was a no go.
The barrel and action were flexing a little in my bench vise, so in the interest of rigidity, off to the mill vise. I probably should have just cut the brake off at this point, but, in the interest of trying to save the part, one more try was in order.
In the end, it took the most rigid set up I could muster, and more brute force than was reasonable. The brake came off, but so did the threads in the brake, and off the barrel.

After looking at the parts and checking thread compatibility, it was determine that they matched, so why the problem?

Closer examination showed that the muzzle brake had been bead blasted after threading, and the resultant surface finish caused the threads to sieze up as tight as Dick's Hatband.

I tell a lot of these guys locally, that you should always chase threads on new brakes and barrels, just to be sure to avoid these problems. In my eyes, that is the ONLY use for barrel threading dies, and muzzle brake taps.

This one can be rescued, but a course of action has yet to be decided...

CW

Post Posted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 2:36 pm 
wow. Thanks for sharing Chuck, very interesting.

Post Posted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 5:01 pm 
Looks like you got a really really tiny cutting torch in there to cut the threads loose!

Thanks for posting, lessons learned all around!

Jump to: