[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4601: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3764)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4603: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3764)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4604: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3764)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4605: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3764)
1911Pro.com • View topic - Rifle Barrel

1911Pro.com

The 1911 Forum For Professional & DIY Gunsmithing
It is currently Wed Jul 18, 2018 1:46 am

Board index » Other Firearms & Information » Rifles

Post Posted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 1:30 am 
Not sure how many rifle smiths we have here but I thought I would ask.

What is involved in changing a barrel in a Remington 700 Rifle. I would like to have my barrel changed and was tossing up the idea of doing it myself. Is this possible? Can a rifle barrel be bought already chambered and ready to go, or is this something for a professional?

Kenny A

Site Admin

Post Posted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 2:13 am 
Generally it is a job for a professional or advanced amateur. Most barrels will require finish reaming at a minimum and most likely some other lathe work. You'll need a barrel vise, barrel wrench, chamber reamer, headspace gauges and probably a lathe.

Profile WWW  

Post Posted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 11:10 pm 
it's going to be a job for a gun smith, along with what Mr Berryhill stated you will also need the action trued and the bolt face and lugs trued and a better recoil lug one thats been surfaced ground since the factory one is made from stamped steel, also there are a lot of options on barrels the ones i have used and like are Boots Obermeyer, Mike rock barrels, schneider barrels and Krieger, i have used others but those shoot the best and had longer life and were easer to clean than the others i have used. if you get a good barrel you want a good smith to do the barrel job. just my 2 cents.

Montrose

Post Posted: Fri May 08, 2015 6:48 am 
If you haven’t decided what caliber rifle you’d like to build, be sure to check out the Remington Action page for all the specifics on the two actions and for links to the products you can use to build your own custom rifle. You might also want to check out the Remington Schematics.

For my custom rifle, I wanted to build something that would be a great, all-around rifle - a nice .243. So, I needed the Standard Receiver which uses the .308 bolt face. The choice was easy because the .308 Bolt Face is clean and simple, one of the reasons the Remington is a favorite for custom and tactical rifle builders. If your dream rifle is in the .222 family, check out the Small Receiver.

Profile YIM  

Jump to: