[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4601: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3764)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4603: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3764)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4604: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3764)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4605: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3764)
1911Pro.com • View topic - Preview..

1911Pro.com

The 1911 Forum For Professional & DIY Gunsmithing
It is currently Wed Jul 18, 2018 4:05 am

Board index » Other Firearms & Information » Rifles

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 94 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Post Posted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 2:42 am 
Well... more of a illustration of how impressive they are than humorous... funny odd, not funny ha-ha. :)

So, I get this barrel from Chuck, to remove the broken drill, finish the hole to size, and make sure it's a good hole.
If you've been following along, I can tell you that Chuck's own descriptions do not do them justice. This particular barrel is beefy by normal standards, too...

So I'm standing next to the machine, thinking about the job before actually doing it, holding the barrel in my right hand, between first
and second fingers, left hand resting on the machine. I reach in, grab some tooling blocks to use for the set-up, and suddenly realize something...

I've been standing there for the last number of minutes twirling the barrel like a drumstick... ( was a drummer for much of my early life )

Even as beefy as this was, it is *SO* *LIGHT* that it was so easily manipulated to spin between fingers like a darn DRUMSTICK.

It was truly impressive. I won't be shocked if two years from now no one ever hears from Chuck ever again, because he's living on his private island, enjoying the good life.

For the record, I'll be wanting one in .308 to put on that 700 action I'm making ... (:>)

Post Posted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 3:46 am 
Thats an apt description...lol. We have a running count on the reactions of those who have seen them thus far.
We had a few members of the City Council and Office of Economic Development all in the conference room discussing future plans. One member is a former Marine, and one a competitive shooter.
When hefting the two rifles back to back, the universal comment is "WOW" or "Holy Crap"

Ounces lost are good, pounds become downright impressive.

Post Posted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 3:53 am 
I'm so hoping that this takes off like a moon shot! I'd love to put one on one of my guns one day.

Post Posted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 4:19 am 
BBBBill, I am very confident these will be in regular production before the end of the year. Fingers crossed. I have the last little bit of parts stuff to get out of here, then its my sole responsibility to see that that happens. The time constraints have been enormous, and quite irregular.
We have been cut rifling all so far, and still need to evaluate button rifling in comparison. Finding barrel makers with time to help has been impossible...lol.

Post Posted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 5:52 am 
This would be great for the build I'm doing for my wife. She's quite petite and weight/moment arm does matter. A super light M4 would be super. And, like Zahnrad, I have a Remmy that would benefit.

Post Posted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 1:35 pm 
This is really fun to watch unfold, Chuck. Not just the technical aspects, but perhaps especially the personal side; you have pushed hard to achieve this, and all the while maintained your down-to-earth good naturedness. Your coming successes are well deserved.

Post Posted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 2:04 pm 
Chuck,
Perhaps I missed it, but has there been any measurement of deflection of the barrel during heating compared to a standard barrel?
The though that dissimilar metals (perhaps applied in a certain way) may reduce barrel "drooping" when hot.

Post Posted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 4:41 pm 
Young's modulus for chromoly steel is roughly 3 times that of aluminum at 70degrees F. That should induce some sort of differential stress into the "composite" material that might reduce droop.

Post Posted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 4:58 am 
For all intents and purposes, it will take a machine gun to get them hot enough to deflect, if at all. The barrel should expand equally in all directions without droop.
Could it happen? yes, but the operating parameters of the weapon its tested on would probably be exceeded.

Take for example a mini gun. Currently operated at about 3000 rounds per minute. Capable of 6000 or so. Using conventional steel barrels, they are good for about a 1.5 second burst at a time. Lets say the gun could be run at 6000 rpm now for 1.5 secs, same result except that the cooler barrels will theoretically be good for MORE 1.5 second bursts AND be 40 % lighter. The gains are exponential. That weight could be replaced with ammo and the gun would be capable of using it without burning out the barrels. OR the same load out of ammo with the weight being replaced by fuel. An extra ten minutes of flight time can be HUGE.

Theoreticly, the barrel would never reach a temperature that barrel droop would become an issue in normal use. Our lightweight barrel, in a stiffer configuration, ie a bull barrel, weighs the same or less than a conventional lightweight sporter. A bull barrel configuration aids that rigidity. Its exponential bonuses no matter how you slice it. A fluted bull barrel would further mitigate heat induced barrel droop, compounding the gains in heat shedding ability AND weight even further.
I think our big issue is going to be the ability to produce enough of them, regardless of cost, But I am working very hard to get the price in the neighborhood of our nearest competitor.
Dr. Dickie, the materials being joined at an atomic level slightly change the rules that define the material characteristics. A bit of uncharted territory to say the least....

..and just to stir the pot even further, this technology does allow a little unconventional thinking as to how a proper bullet tube should be done. The job the bullet needs to do at its destination may dictate different ideas. Most here know I can be rather unconventional in my thought process at times, but Doug has allowed me that freedom of thought while instilling the methodology of a scientist. This is quite maddening at times, but our success rate has been extremely high because of it.
There is even more in the pipeline....

;)

Post Posted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:52 am 
Chuck, call me later today. I might have a contact for you on the rifling.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 94 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Jump to: