1911Pro.com

The 1911 Forum For Professional & DIY Gunsmithing
It is currently Tue Feb 20, 2018 2:38 am

Board index » Other Firearms & Information » Rifles

Post Posted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 1:51 am 
Hi,
I just got this from a friend today for $250. It's a Marlin 1894 Cowboy Limited. And hasn't been shot much. Another Guy I know gave Me a bunch of 45LC Ammunition. I was reading the Manual and it makes reference to some ammunition is unsafe in a tubeular magazine but does not say what is safe and what is not. I've attached a couple of pictures of the type of ammunition I was given It's all Winchester and Remington Round Nose 255gr and is older ammo. The 3rd from the left bullet has a different type primer. The primer is not flat like the rest. It is convex. The nose of these bullets will sit right on the primer of the one ahead of it. Can anybody tell Me if this ammo is safe to shoot in this rifle with no chance of chain fire? And what type of ammo is actually unsafe for this rifle? And maybe what would be the best to be shooting through it? He gave Me about 400 rounds and if it's safe I'm shooting tomarrow hopefully.
Thanks,
Larry

Site Admin

Post Posted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 1:45 pm 
Ammo with bullets having hard pointed tips shouldn't be loaded into a tubular mag because under recoil, the tip of the bullet may detonate the primer of the cartridge in front of it.

It's usually not an issue with pistol ammo since most of the bullets are round nose, hollow point or flat nose. It's rifle ammo that often has bullets with pointed tips.

Your ammo should be fine.

Profile WWW  

Post Posted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 5:00 pm 
Thank You Sir, Looks like I'm going shooting today.
Thanks,
Larry

Post Posted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 7:56 pm 
The late Kent Lomont lost a chunk of his left hand back around 1968 when a .450 Alaskan cartridge loaded with hard-cast round-nose bullets detonated in his rifle's magazine tube. Of course, the .450 Alaskan is much larger and creates a lot more recoil than the .45 Colt.

Profile WWW  

Post Posted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 8:25 pm 

From Hornady
"These technologically advanced bullets feature our patented Flex Tip™ technology which means they are safe to shoot in firearms with tubular magazines as well as any other firearm. Not only are they safe, they also deliver the flattest trajectories ever from these firearms. Another benefit of Flex Tip™ technology is devastating terminal performance. Upon impact, the flexible tip deforms back into the bullet initiating violent, controlled expansion that transfers a great deal of energy to the vitals. At the same time, the heavy jacket over the shank of the bullet and famous InterLock™ feature keep the core and jacket physically locked together to ensure high weight retention."

It's not plinking ammo but something to consider for a hunt.

Post Posted: Sat Oct 15, 2016 3:13 am 
Shooting style and ammo plays a part as well, which is why I guess alot of people are recommending different brakes.

Profile WWW ICQ  

Jump to: