1911Pro.com

The 1911 Forum For Professional & DIY Gunsmithing
It is currently Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:37 am

Board index » Other Firearms & Information » Rifles

Post Posted: Tue May 02, 2017 7:10 pm 
For those who turn there own barrels from blanks what coolant systems are you using? And do you use the same type of system on the mill if your fluting?

I need to add something to my lathe and was leaning toward the Fog Buster due to very little coolant used and maintenance/care. I know the flood systems can be a pain to keep up. The mister systems are out since my shop is so small, after 10 min or so I probably would have to evacuate for some fresh air.

Thanks in advanced

David

Post Posted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 1:39 pm 
Ended up not using any coolant system. Worked out just fine using the old school method, cutting oil and a brush. Did have to add a small exhaust fan to my shop to evacuate the fumes.

Did discover that my steady rest will not take any bar > 1". So it was a learning exercise finding the right feed rate to keep from galling the SS and keep the harmonics to a minimum.

Finished fluting the barrel yesterday, bead blasted it for the finish. Up and running.

Tested it yesterday, every thing is good. Out shoots my old barrel very easily, which was not hard to do. Since the old barrel would not shoot under 2 moa at 100 yrds with any bullet weight < 65 gr. Now I need to work up some new loads for it.

Jump to: