1911Pro.com

The 1911 Forum For Professional & DIY Gunsmithing
It is currently Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:04 pm

Board index » Other Firearms & Information » Other Pistols

Post Posted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 10:48 pm 
I have an old Mk2 5-1/2" bull barrel gun with the grip frame pin holes wallowed out. Probably from more rounds than any sane person would ever send down range. I found a new/take off lower to use on the gun, so I'm good to go for mine. A friend also has a Mk2 Gov't that has far fewer rounds through it, but his has wallowed holes, too. The gun had started to have some hiccups and he brought it to me for my opinion. I suspect that the problems are from the pins shifting around (not just rotating) and allowing the fire control parts to move incorrectly. I suspect that they even may have been drilled a bit wonky at the factory as I've seen on a couple others new in the display cases over the years. For his gun I suggested that he get a return authorization to send it home for a look see.
Two questions -
Does Ruger still support the Mk2 with replacement grip frames available for repair?
Do any reputable Ruger smiths weld and re-drill the frames to correct the wear/poor manufacturing? Or do you ream for oversized pins? If it has been done with any success I might have a go at my old one just for the experience.

Post Posted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 12:30 am 
BBBill - Standard disclaimer - I'm not Jerry, don't play him on TV, but did once sleep at a Holiday Inn...

That said, I'm pretty darn familiar with the MKI/II/III guns and will even be shortly releasing a major update to the platform that will hopefully shake up the market a bit. Yes, you can get grip frames, but they're very limited, for now. <coughcoughcough > You can buy Volquartsen or find a Ruger. Both are more than they are worth in my opinion as well as those of many others. ( be sitting down for the Volquartsen price ) Yes, oversize pins are an option, depending on how much and where the wear is. Yes, one can weld up the holes carefully, but there are not that many of us that know where the new ones are actually supposed to be machined. :) Yes, Ruger still supports them as far as I know, and my knowledge is up to about 6 months ago. You can still buy most of the parts. I am in the process of final testing for interchangeability, compliance, and durability right now. Finishing up making the bolts as I type this, having made four Stainless and one Titanium receivers this last week. Good luck.

Post Posted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 4:45 am 
Thanks, Zahnrad. I know welding would require mapping based on known good grip frames, just as we do with the 1911, if there's any hope of correctly relocating the holes. I've got several good ones available to map if we decide to go that route. Would prefer to send it off to a smith that's done some as it will be faster and less of an experiment.
And you're right. The used Rugers (when you can find them) and new Volquartsen are pricey.

Jump to: