1911Pro.com

The 1911 Forum For Professional & DIY Gunsmithing
It is currently Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:22 pm

Board index » Other Firearms & Information » Other Pistols

Post Posted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 5:42 pm 
log man wrote:
Crystal goblet vs. paper cup

Where is the like button when you need it!

Post Posted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 5:52 pm 
Firearms are like Tools.....Each suited for a particular job.

Post Posted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 2:47 pm 
I will always prefer the 1911 over any handgun, although the H&K P7 is really close. If I had to choose between a 1911 & a Glock at the same price point I would take the Glock. Many have said that the 1911 is an enthusiasts pistol, which I think is valid. However you certainly don't need to be a gunsmith to maintain your 1911 and a peak level of operation and most of the crap that non-1911 people regurgitate over and over just has not been true in my case. In my experience a properly timed 1911 with quality magazines and a properly tuned quality extractor runs like a sewing machine. Do you have to check these types of things when you get a Glock. No. But the glock also lacks for me the better, more manageable grip that the 1911 has and of course the trigger on a Glock will always be a spongy mess compared to the clean break of a 1911. A typical out of the box 1911 trigger will beat any Glock trigger I have felt and when you compare a properly tuned & set-up trigger on a 1911 the Glock has to run & hide.

I can say that the only polymer pistol that would ever have the potential to make me take it over my 1911 is my H&K USP45 fullsize. The 1911 still wins in the trigger department but the USP is equal in all others and edges it out for capacity. I do own several Glocks too and shoot them frequently but the 1911 will always be King.

I would also be interested to hear opinions if you expand the query to include 2011 STI/SVI guns since they are more or less a combination of concepts. The polymer wide body allows capacity on par & in some cases greater than the Glocks & other polymer guns, but you retain the superior ignition system. And honestly the grip while slightly larger still feels and points better for me than the Glock.

Post Posted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 3:57 pm 
Chris, I was introduced to Glocks by a fellow by the name of Jim McClary of SLED in South Carolina. The only significance in that, is that it was a long time ago, and I believe they were the first agency to adopt the Glock.
My best buddy and shooting partner for years, had every iteration of them that was ever available. I've had a few myself. MY opinion is that they are a great tool, but try as I might, I have never been able to get attached to one. The 10 and .45, in my experience were very accurate right outta the box.
As much as I hate to admit it, Glock has brought a LOT of shooters to the fold, per se. Many have graduated up to other guns, including the 1911.
I'm like Josh though, I think there are better choices in plastic these days, my two favorites being the FNP and HK.

The only Drawback to the McCormick/STI/SVI is the dam spread to the frame components when left cocked and locked for a length of time. Nothing worse than a second shot malfunction because the strut has caught on top of the mainspring cap.

CW

www.warnerprecision.com

Post Posted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 2:38 pm 
Little story about Glocks:
Some years ago, a new police chief was going to show his superiors how he was going to save money, and modernize the dept. by bringing us in line with the rest of "progressive agencies" in the US, by transitioning to Glocks. Soon a T&E batch arrived at my arms room..I hate Glocks...Competitive shooting on a National level for many years, introduces one to an enormous number of friends and acquaintances nation wide. I had a very good shooter friend in DC.. I called him.. He referred me to a study done by the Washington Post regarding the Glock in DC.. It was easily found on the Washington Post website. Nearly a ream of paper to download and copy the results.. This copy of the study was transferred to the enterprising chief thru the chain of command. A week later I was instructed to get those Glocks ready for return shipment.. ;) :D
My reputation regarding Glocks was so well known, that Glock sales persons never bothered to visit my office.
I don't know if the DC study info is still searchable after all this time or not.. That episode was in the mid 90s..
Jerry

Post Posted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 4:32 pm 
Jerry, is this the article you mentioned? http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/lo ... 4page1.htm

Post Posted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 6:17 pm 
BBBBill wrote:
Jerry, is this the article you mentioned? http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/lo ... 4page1.htm

You got it..!!!

Post Posted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 6:50 pm 
I'm no great fan of Glocks although I do own a couple and have been through the armorer's course a couple times. Jerry Lane taught the first one as I recall. I don't see it as a particularly dangerous gun or bad design, but I find the trigger safety to be ludicrous.

Post Posted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 7:11 pm 
BBBBill wrote:
I'm no great fan of Glocks although I do own a couple and have been through the armorer's course a couple times. Jerry Lane taught the first one as I recall. I don't see it as a particularly dangerous gun or bad design, but I find the trigger safety to be ludicrous.

I went to several courses myself. It was an authorized off duty and back up pistol for our agency. I couldn't remember who taught the classes if my life depended on it. At least 20 years ago.
It's a tool. If it were the only choice I had, I would be glad to use it. I shot it well, and it shoots well. I just think for a large LE agency, that there are better choices. The price is right for limited budget LE Depts.
My son carried the Glock in 40 cal for many years. Different agency.. It's like debating effective cartridges/calibers. Every LE trainer believes they have the inside info from above on incapacitation.
Jerry

Post Posted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 8:01 pm 
I love the 1911. Owned my first since 1964. Carried a 38Super Commander as my concealed carry piece for many years. Still got every one I ever bought. My current carry is usually an S&W 3914, 469, or Beretta 92 Type M. Not perfect, but serve the purpose. The Walther style thumb safety is the biggest negative IMO. I would not be uncomfortable with a Glock. I do occasionally carry a G26 L (short butt G19). But then again, I've had the rules of proper gun management pounded into my head for many years. The booger hook does not go on the bang switch until it's the proper time.

Jump to: