[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4601: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3764)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4603: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3764)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4604: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3764)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4605: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3764)
1911Pro.com • View topic - So, what does the pro forum think of... Glocks.

1911Pro.com

The 1911 Forum For Professional & DIY Gunsmithing
It is currently Mon Sep 24, 2018 5:05 am

Board index » Other Firearms & Information » Other Pistols

Post Posted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 5:21 pm 
Being a research scientist and instrument technician, I want to know exactly how what I rely on works, so I got down to doing a lot of research. While I the internet seems to project a notion that Glock and 1911 people are often at odds, I've never been a hype kind of person. Once I figured out how a Glock worked, I couldn't BS myself, given the elegance and simplicity of the design and function, I was smitten. It IS a cool design.

Over the past few months I rented and shot a few double stack .45 ACP Glocks (30 and 30SF). No dice. I was all over the place. Plus hand/finger fatigue from the gritty 5.5 lbs trigger. Despite my appreciation for the design of the Glock mechanisms, my muscle memory and small hands hated it trying to compensate for a much thinner grip I had been training with since beginning my 1911 journey.

I knew about the Glock 36 single stack (6+1), but only got the chance to shoot one for the first time a couple weeks ago. The pic is what my first two magazines, cold bore, looked like at 45 feet (max distance this indoor range has).

Post Posted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 5:32 pm 
Personally, I find them - uninteresting. That however is my opinion, not obviously the opinion of a load of people who have bought them and use them regularly. I'm just one of those who like wood and steel and think plastic has no soul.

Post Posted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 9:21 pm 
Personally, I shoot Glocks very well; but as Don said, plastic has no soul. That being said, a 17L is a very fast gun to shoot.

Post Posted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 10:48 pm 
Hey, you're preaching to the choir on the soul issue, given the military history of my family is the whole reason I got into dabbling in the 1911 beyond just shooting them. They are incredible, each one having its own quirks and personality.

But I have to say, the brilliance of the design, coming from a polymer chemist who had never designed a gun before... I'm considering buying a 33 (a miniature .357 SIG??? Come on. Killer Toy.) and a 36 some day.

Post Posted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 12:12 am 
Glocks are for the masses.

1911's are for the classes.

Post Posted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 1:06 pm 
I own 1 BHP, 3 Glocks, 4 1911's and 12 S&W revolvers plus a few others, so there prejudice here.

I like them all for various reasons. The BHP because I carried one for a long time. I shoot them well.

The main beauty of Glocks is that they work right out of the box.

Do I like Glocks - Yes.

Do I like 1911's - Yes.

Do I like S&W revolvers - Yes.

Ya pays ya money, and takes ya chances.

An expression that my Dad used to say was "They are cheap and nasty".

Post Posted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 5:59 pm 
I like Glocks on paper (simple inexpensive reliable), not in my hand. (Too Blocky)

Post Posted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 9:59 pm 
As a professional Firearms Instructor I have seen thousands of guns being shot by the whole gamut of people. Stock Glocks have had the fewest problems of any other weapons on my range. Even our school guns, some in the hundreds of thousands of rounds, have very few problems.

As with all firearms when ignorant people start playing with them (usually non-Glock parts) they become less reliable.

Post Posted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 8:45 am 
It's simple, the 1911 is an excellent gun. Very accurate, but being of older design, requires the user to be more involved in its maintenance, as where the Glock is designed to be operational under much more undesirable conditions with less attention. It's the same argument with between the M16 versus AK47. Designed around different operational requirements by the government/countries that buy them. I own all of these firearms, and the 1911s requires more attention than my Glocks, but it all depends on what the owners requirements are in the firearm.

Post Posted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 4:59 pm 
Crystal goblet vs. paper cup

Jump to: